Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 Passat 1.8t started over heating, we changed the fan clutch and that didn’t work, we thought about trying the water pump but don’t have the cash to keep throwing in this car, it heats up to 190 really fast, and will stay there for a while then shoots up to the red. If you stomp on it to try to get air to it, it just goes higher. What would you suggest?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Possibly a stuck thermostat, perhaps air in the system. Any idea how long since the water pump was last changed?
I would not recommend driving a lot with it over-heated. I assume you've checked the level in the coolant reservoir?
Has anyone ever put coolant other than G12/G13 coolant in the system? Other types of coolant are not compatible.
Is the coolant still pink, or some other color? If you turn on the heat in the cabin, do you get hot air?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has no thermostat in it, coolant level is good. You can now drive it about 15 miles then it will start to get hot but if you hold the clutch or slow down or stop it goes right back to 190 and you can roll on, if you go faster the temp goes up

1 - 3 of 3 Posts