Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend has a stock 02' passat 1.8t and is experiencing a loud hissing noise (sounds like shhhhh) under acceleration. The noise is particulary loud as the turbo is getting into boost and as it is boosting. Normal, non boost driving does not produce the noise. Originally, when she bought the car(~50k miles), it did not make this sound, but now that its at 75k its become quite loud. Also, I would say that drivability has gone down with occasional hesitation, a feeling of power loss, and a non linear boost delivery. Ive read a number of threads already and they all seem to point to hoses, but I thought that this noise was probably a defective diverter valve. Where do I start and where is this sound coming from? Someone please help. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
451 Posts
You should definately look at the vacuum lines as a source of the leak. A bad Diverter valve could also be the culprit. When a DV goes bad they usually make a honking sound and do give the hesitation upon acceleration you describe. You should also check the intercooler hoses and make sure the clamps are tight.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,695 Posts
vdblu said:
You should definately look at the vacuum lines as a source of the leak. A bad Diverter valve could also be the culprit. When a DV goes bad they usually make a honking sound and do give the hesitation upon acceleration you describe. You should also check the intercooler hoses and make sure the clamps are tight.
Sounds like a good start.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts