Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help
I want to change my spark plug wires on my upcoming 40K maintence.
I've been doing some reading and I'm totaly confused.... I notice that ECS for example offers only Bosch. Many claims are made about other upgraded wires. Do any of you have upgraded wires? Have you had any preformance gains? Did you simply upgrade with "cool looking" wires?
I'm leaning strongly towards the nology wires but get this... they don't have a set for my car (2001.5 V6, 30V.) Maybe I'm wrong, do any of you have nology wires, what set did you use? Do you think this is total horse shit? And lastly does anybody have an old used set of wires for the 30V motor thay I can use to have custom wires made. does this sound like group buy material???
What do you guys think????
:D

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Umm... why do you want to change wires at 40k? If you are going for looks, pick the color you like best. If not, the VW wires are fine and should last well over 100k unless you encounter an ignition problem. OEM wires are $65-$80 per side (3 wires) on the V6.

Cheers,

Carl III

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not interested in looks. I'm curious what other guys are using and has anyone used nology wires.
:b5:

·
Registered
168 Posts
If your going to replace the spark plug wires on the V6 @ 40k service then a great pair to get is Nuspeed Ignition wires.

just do a search on the internet.

and YES the passat ignition wires are sub par wires. they are worth crap and are the cause for many peoples hesitations or cyl # misfires for the V6 engines.

If you feel your getting hesitations or your V6 has lost its punch then the first place you want to consider replacing is the spark plug wires and the spark plugs themselves.

I highly recommend replacing the plugs with original VW plugs but as for the ignition wires go with a high quality wire like nuspeed.

cheers...
ganx14
2003 glx v6 30v
silver

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To clarify V6 30v (AWE) has coils & wires

What's up with you guys? On the 30V v6 (AWE) there are 2 coils on the front of the engine with 3 wires each. really I checked..... :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.