Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hey so my engine is Out! Not too bad a job really. I can see someone has had it out before me. Strange I am the 2nd owner.

I'm going to tidy it up, replace 2 orings, and put it back in.

Any thoughts on other maintenance I should do whilst its out?

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Am replacing the rear drives driveshaft seal. Trans and engine mounts.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Now would be the time to check to see if the engine had the timing chain upgrades.
Any other sensor or hose that would be impossible to change while the engine is in it's normal resting position.
Better to spend a few hundred extra on PM than to have to pull it all out again just because, "meh I'll take care of that later" mentality.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Checking with VW, they should have record of your VIN number and if it had the revised timing chain fix installed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ha. Yes totally get that. Can you expand on the timing issue? VW man here says there is no recall work either carried out or outstanding.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
The W8 code BDP had revised cam chain guides.
There wasn't a recall, but there was a service bulletin. Can't remember which member here (someone PZ knows) had worked at VW or some place that work on VW's.
He checked my VIN number for me and gave me the info on it. That's been like 4 years ago now. Let's see if can dig that stuff up.
I wasn't as organized back then like I am now so I'll see what I got.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Ok. Wow. Should I post my VIN just in case? Might as well:

WVWZZZ3BZ3P111637

Would be awesome if someone can assist

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
I wanna say it was sipes216 but maybe I'm wrong. My memory hasn't been good lately.
Anyways, PZ knows the guy. I'll shoot PZ a message.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Shot PZ a message.

The members that I can remember who were savvy to the W8 don't come around here much anymore or if at all.
Quite honestly, I'm not to much in the know as both of my W8's are just sitting. Seeing as I'm not driving them (currently) there hasn't been any ambition on my part to really investigate all things about the car.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
FYI
When I had my W8 VIN number checked out, I found out the engine had been pulled out of the car 4 times by the dealer amongst other various sensor and hose replacements and the revised cam chain guides.
It seems as though the original owner was pretty particular and had his way with the dealership. I'm guessing he was a very difficult customer deal with.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
I wanna say it was sipes216 but maybe I'm wrong. My memory hasn't been good lately.
Anyways, PZ knows the guy. I'll shoot PZ a message.
PZ responded to my message. It was sipes216 that had dug up that info for me. He no longer works at VW nor is he around here anymore.
Maybe VW can help you find what you're looking for.
Hopefully someone else can chime in here.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Hey so just a bit of FYI the parts from ECS arrived today NZ.

What? You got your parts quicker than I got mine. How does that work?
Glad you got your stuff.

Reactions: PZ

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Cool thanks. Me too. So my coolant system has been running for years and years at not full pressure. When I rectified that, the two hard lines that go into the back of the block that have been dry, burst because they were rusted out.

I'm not sure if that makes sense but this is certainly not a small job for a couple of coolant pipes.

Whilst I am engine out spannering I am going to replace the rear driveshaft seal. Engine mounts. And clean up all the plugs with contact cleaner. It has been a good familiarization time with my VW. Once you get this deep they are not as complicated as first thought. Although there is a lot to the vehicle huh.

·
Registered
27,757 Posts
The V6 was similar with the coolant pipes, remove intake, remove SAIP pipes, etc...The 1.8T had a plastic flange on back, it lasted about half as long as the metal pipes. The Audi 4.2 V8 had a plastic pipe for the oil cooler that would fail and was not easy to reach.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
That a fact? I have been in the maintenance industry for a long time now. I will spend time to remove an engine even if it only saves me a few minutes. And that culture has been a winner every time. If you have proper access, well in my opinion, the job end result is so much better.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
I will spend time to remove an engine even if it only saves me a few minutes. And that culture has been a winner every time. If you have proper access, well in my opinion, the job end result is so much better.

I've been saying, doing that for years.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
There is nothing like good access. Full confession: I took the entire front end of my Passat off when I did my first timing belt job. I've done a few more since and just put it in service position but for the first time (and I had never done a job like that on any car before) it was nice to get right up against the parts to see how it all worked.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Although full disclosure I did get one pipe out prior to engine pull lol

·
Registered
225 Posts
Gonna thread jack for a second, I'm looking into replacing the engine mounts on the W8, but I can't find any replacements. Any ideas? I've searched some parts places but nobody seams to have any.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts