Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in New Zealand. This is the country where they want over a thousand bucks for a w8 thermostat. I buy everything from abroad.

I need to buy some of the stranger items that are not on Ebay. Can someone point me please to a good VW W8 online parts web site?

I need a rear trans seal. Oil temp sender (or may be the pressure need to check its the one down next to the filter) also need the orings for the coolant pipes that go into the rear of the block (engine out to replace want to go genuine)

Anyways I also need a bunch of other parts and most web sites dont have them. Help please?

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Sadly, that's pretty much what W8 parts cost. It's been cheaper for me to just buy an entire parts car.
Depending on what you're after that is certainly the better way to go.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,133 Posts
I'm seeing aftermarket on Amazon for under $500. Originals maybe $700. Not a cheap part in any case.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry people Im not actually looking for a thermostat I need to purchase a bunch of engine parts and consumables. Not so concerned about the prices, offshore outside of NZ they are expensive but thats what we expect to pay. Here in New Zealand we are paying another 60% on top.

So, I am just looking for a good supplier of VW W8 parts I can go to if anyone knows? I dont want second hand gaskets or orings.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. Well. I found ECS Tuning are very good. Good website, prices realistic. Yep. Thanks for all your input haha

·
Registered
5,833 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Andreas thanks for that. Remember though that I am international so already expect delays in shipping. So FYI, I purchased the two o-rings from the dealer here that I am pulling out my engine to replace. The two coolant pipe orings about 20mm x 2.5mm (approx)

I bought 3 just incase I cut one. Cost me twenty bucks. Here in NZ I cant imagine what the final margin is, but its not cool I reckon.

I paid US$250 for a whole bunch of stuff on ECS

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
Just out of curiosity, weren't you in the states before? Unless I'm thinking of a few other members that have moved abroad.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh I had a VPN running in the house prior although I did need to purchase some parts a while ago that the seller wouldnt send to NZ. I used a mates address in the USA.

Actually I got my engine out today. Bit tight to squeeze out through everything huh? Left the trans on. Good to get it out though and check it out. I still cant understand the idea behind putting a couple of pipes into the back of the block on orings. Everyone is going to have to change them one day, runner is definitely not lifetime.

So both engine mounts just fell apart. A bit of a concern when ECS tuning has originals for US$150 each and then they have a Density mount kit (both) for $200 but say they will only ship them to the USA which I don't understand. For the sake of $100 I might look at getting them to send to an address in the USA to forward onto me here. But thats a pain.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,882 Posts
Oh I had a VPN running in the house prior although I did need to purchase some parts a while ago that the seller wouldnt send to NZ. I used a mates address in the USA.

Actually I got my engine out today. Bit tight to squeeze out through everything huh? Left the trans on. Good to get it out though and check it out. I still cant understand the idea behind putting a couple of pipes into the back of the block on orings. Everyone is going to have to change them one day, runner is definitely not lifetime.

So both engine mounts just fell apart. A bit of a concern when ECS tuning has originals for US$150 each and then they have a Density mount kit (both) for $200 but say they will only ship them to the USA which I don't understand. For the sake of $100 I might look at getting them to send to an address in the USA to forward onto me here. But thats a pain.
If they are the 034 brand density mounts, order directly from 034. Maybe they ship internationally. Avoid ECS like the plague.

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi. Is that a fact? I have found ECS to be pretty good so far, the chat option was good on two counts. Although they don't hold my parts in stock.

What's your reason for avoiding them?

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And do you have a link for 034 I am not having much success here.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,882 Posts
Hi. Is that a fact? I have found ECS to be pretty good so far, the chat option was good on two counts. Although they don't hold my parts in stock.

Constantly out of stock, long lead times, missed orders. There’s a reason there is a facebook page called “Why I hate ECS tuning”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AndreasPassat

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,882 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh noooooo! Ok well I will see how my order pans out and report back.

Thanks for the link appreciate that.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts

X2 on what VAGguy said!
I've ranted about this on multiple occasions here on this forum.

Over the years I've ordered at least $10k from ECS Tuning alone.
In the early days ECS was 'THE' place to go. As of late they have stumbled on their stocking and shipping practices.
I try to order from other places as much as possible but for some things ECS just happens to be the about the only ones who still sell a decent array of items for a 20 year old platform.

I just ordered a cartful of items a few weeks ago from ECS. At time of purchase, all parts in stock, all items clearly said ready to ship 2 to 4 days when placed into my cart. All items were scheduled to show up on December 4th. Just got an email on December 9th saying my shipment would be delayed because a few items weren't in stock and they were waiting arrival from their supplier. Wait, what? WTF just happened here?

When I placed the order, all items were in stock. Received the confirmation email stating order was processed and a ship date of December 4th.
That last email from December 9th now says parts will ship on December 14th.
It's aggravating has hell.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok. Wow. Hey well the flip side, here in NZ, you can double the prices, add 20%, and thats what the arse reaming VW dealer charges here. I still remember the $680 plus tax plus freight plus $180 programming charge.

I bought 3 on Aliexpress for such a small amount I can't remember the charge.

What was funny, I searched my house, workshop, place of employment. Farking everywhere. Found it in my golfbag several months later. Ha

1 - 20 of 43 Posts