Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need tires for passat glx 4-motion sedan 2001.5.0riginals were michelin energy mxv4 91 h which were quoted to me as over $150.00 per tire ! what a shock i only pay $70.00 for my land cruiser tires.had no idea
Can any one suggest less costly alternative ?
thanks

·
Registered
7,575 Posts
need tires for passat glx 4-motion sedan 2001.5.0riginals were michelin energy mxv4 91 h which were quoted to me as over $150.00 per tire ! what a shock i only pay $70.00 for my land cruiser tires.had no idea
thanks
You'll receive better responses if you plug in your actual location in your profile. Have you checked Tire Rack?

What do you want out of the new tires? Long-wearing, performance, traction, quietness? Give us some clues and help will be on the way!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just got a set of Dunlop Sport SP 5000 "performance all season"... $65 each in the standard 15 inch size (195/65-15) from Tire Rack... These were recommended by Consumer Reports... I decided to go with an all-season tire rather than a dedicated winter tire because I also have a beater Tahoe for when ol' man winter comes a-callin'...

The Michelin Energy MXV4 was also on the recommended list as was the Goodyear TripleTreds... I found the Michelin to be pricey ($108) and the TripleTred was not in stock and almost $30 more per tire ($93). So, Dunlop it was...

BTW, I had them drop shipped to my friendly neighborhood VW dealer and they mounted them up for me while doing the 40k service... Probably not the cheapest route, but simplest...

I've only got a little mileage on them so far, but noticed an immediate and dramatic improvement in handling response and wet traction over the stock Conti's, which were pretty much shot at 40k...

I hope this helps...

Larry
2004 Passat 1.8T Tip

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
thanks
check out michelin pilot exalto all season directional tires,best thing i ever did on my 4-motion was to replace the micelin energy rim protectors,i had the exaltos before last winter,and at appx.100$ per tire 205-60x15 ,well worth it IMO,but dont take my word,check out tire racks reviews and catergory ratings,they are at the top percent in every column on that tire!!!!!!!!!!!will replace with them on my other passat when its due for tires too

·
Registered
113 Posts
Falken Ziex ZE329 is quite good (and better than OEM Michelin) could be had
for $75. On the East coast it is sold by Merchant's, NTB. The tire has cool rotation time indicator, also useful to monitor for irregular tire ware pattern. Couldn't comment on tire life: have them for 7,000 miles. They couldn't be much worse in that respect than Michelin, which have lasted for me only 22K.
Thread warranty on Falken is 55K.
http://www.falken.co.jp/tyrecatalog/radial/ze329/img/techimg02.gif

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus is a great all-around tire. It's a little on the noisy side compared to Weatherwise, but it gets much better grip and it lasts a long time. I can get the Conti's on my Passat to squeal before the MXV4+'s on my mom's car.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
Falken Ziex ZE329 is quite good (and better than OEM Michelin) could be had
for $75. On the East coast it is sold by Merchant's, NTB. The tire has cool rotation time indicator, also useful to monitor for irregular tire ware pattern. Couldn't comment on tire life: have them for 7,000 miles. They couldn't be much worse in that respect than Michelin, which have lasted for me only 22K.
Thread warranty on Falken is 55K.
http://www.falken.co.jp/tyrecatalog/radial/ze329/img/techimg02.gif
Your wheels were misaligned if you only got 22k out of a set of MXV4's.

I had Falken Ziex's on my previous car. My god did that car hydroplane in wet weather. I remember I was driving home from college on a rainy day once, and I was going around a banked turn in the highway, and there were little rivulets of water running across the road -- not pouring, just dribbling a little. Every single time I hit one the car jumped and the tires rumbled. I kinda made a game out of keeping the car going in the direction I wanted without having to slow down. It was entertaining, but I locked up my rear wheels so often in less-than-perfect weather with Ziex's it wasn't even funny.

·
Registered
7,575 Posts
Your wheels were misaligned if you only got 22k out of a set of MXV4's.
That's about what I got out of a set of Michelin MXV4's, despite careful alignment and religious attention to tire pressures. They wore evenly across the tread. I got 15k out of a set of Continental CH95's - again very even wear, just real fast.

The only explanation I can offer is the "tar and chip" road surfaces we have locally. It's a very aggressive road surface, like driving on sandpaper.

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
That's about what I got out of a set of Michelin MXV4's, despite careful alignment and religious attention to tire pressures. They wore evenly across the tread. I got 15k out of a set of Continental CH95's - again very even wear, just real fast.

The only explanation I can offer is the "tar and chip" road surfaces we have locally. It's a very aggressive road surface, like driving on sandpaper.
Heh. I just noticed you're from PA. Yeah, the roads could do it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts