Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm close to deciding on a new suspension for my 1998 V6 manual Passat. I think I've narrowed it down to 1BE springs and Koni adjustable shocks as I'm looking for some improved handling while retaining as much of the stock comfort and ground clearance as possible.

If I do this I understand from reading here that cutting the bump stops may be a good idea to help maintain comfort. Question is exactly how much to cut and where to take it off? Also, i read that there are special 1BE bumpstops. Should I just get those or are they designed to improve handling and could cause more harshness on bottoming out (while I'm looking for comfort)?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
i think i cut liek an inch and a half off my stock ones...just measured an inch and a half, and then i just cut if with a knife

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i think i cut liek an inch and a half off my stock ones...just measured an inch and a half, and then i just cut if with a knife
ok but off the top or the bottom? or out of the middle? I'm asking as I'm guessing it might matter if the bump stop varies in stiffness from one end to the other. Is this the case with the stock part?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Agree with FROG

I got my 1BE from Richie and ordered the new bumperstops. Although, I stuck with the full 1BE set-up springs and shocks - less the sway bars.
THe combined deal from Richie @ Autobarn was too good to pass up. I had originally thought about Konis but they were just more than I wanted to spend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts