Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My center console lighting for the HVAC controls stopped working a couple of days ago. Has this happened to anyone else?? :sad:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ANyone had this happen???? It's the whole set of lights. They came on once or twice when I turned the swiches a few days ago but nothing since. Anyone with intimate knowledge????????? :???:

·
Registered
454 Posts
Yes. this happened to my last year and it is a very very easy fix. There is one tiny bulb behind the large knob in the middle that lights up the entire plate. Call your dealer and have them order the bulb if they don't have it in stock. They should have it in stock and it only costs 1.35 You dont need to remove the plate.

Once you get the bulb you will need to remove the burnt out one. You need to pull the center knob off without damaging it. I got mine off by wrapping the teeth of my pliers with a large rubber band. You need a good amount of force to pull it off but using pliers without something in between will scratch the knob.

With the knob off you now need to reach the bulb which is set back a bit. Some have pulled it out with rubber tubing but I used a small pair of needle nose pliers (again teeth wrapped with rubber) and it came right out. Put the new one in the same way and :thumbup: all fixed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had the *exact* same thing happen to me. It started about a year ago and I just gave up on it. With you help now maybe there's hope for me!

Cheers! :beer:

·
Registered
442 Posts
vwfool2000,

I followed your procedure and it worked perfectly. The only substitution was using and old 28C bicycle inner tube cut into 2 short lengths and slid onto standard pliers to pull the knob off. Another short length, slit and pushed lengthwise into the area around the bulb, worked great with standard needlenose (or as someone recently posted - "noodlenose") to extract the bulb.

Yet another "buck saver" from the Collective...

Thanks again!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
9 Participants
vwfool2000
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing