Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best place to get install instructions for the headlights? There were none in the box. BTW, I got mine today. Gonna install them on Fri, along with the protectors.

Couple of ???
Is it better to install the protectors on the lights OFF the car or ON the car?
How do you get the HL switch off? I tried and it almost broke.
Is there any rewiring involved or is it plug and play?

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
154 Posts
Hey Michael, I'll help ya out (just did an install myself) but i need a couple of details first...

are you talking the headlight switch on the dash next to your steering wheel?

what kind of lights did you get? Xenons? Hella's?

Put the protectors on off the car, it will make wrapping easier.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tonality said:
Hey Michael, I'll help ya out (just did an install myself) but i need a couple of details first...

are you talking the headlight switch on the dash next to your steering wheel?

what kind of lights did you get? Xenons? Hella's?

Put the protectors on off the car, it will make wrapping easier.
THanks, yes the inside switch. When I turned it clockwise, without pulling it out , it alomst broke. What am I doing wrong?

Just the Hella projector headlights. I'm in the porcess of taking them off now.
Michael

·
Registered
200 Posts
To get the headlight switch out you need to push in hard while turning it to the right. The swtich itself will drop in to the housing approximately 1/4" and then will turn to the right and lock. At this point it will lift right out of the dash opening.

·
Registered
154 Posts
the Hellas pop in the same way the stock ones pop out, 2 screws on top, one on the side (you'll need to remove your corners to get at that one...maybe that's what you're missing?)

On the inside switch...this is tricky, so don't worry about it...once you've done it once though, you'll wonder what was so darned hard about it :)

It's much easier to do if you understand what it is you're really doing..there's a tiny tab in there that you have to depress in order to pull the knob out. So, with the lights off, push in on the center of the knob (it should only go in a little bit, but it's definite). Once there, while holding in, turn the knob CLOCKWISE only slightly...once the knob is depressed, it's only got to remove enough of that tab to make it out from the housing. If you're turning it further than what's required to turn the lights on, that's too much. Then simply pull...you won't feel any definite click or release when removing the switch, and I think that's why i had so much trouble with it the first few times.

It's important once you've got the switch out of the housing to turn the lights back off before removing the plug...don't want to fry anything.

I have to ask, though...why are you taking it off? Did you get a Euroswitch, are you trying to disable the DRL's, what?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tonality said:
On the inside switch...this is tricky, so don't worry about it...once you've done it once though, you'll wonder what was so darned hard about it :)

It's much easier to do if you understand what it is you're really doing..there's a tiny tab in there that you have to depress in order to pull the knob out. So, with the lights off, push in on the center of the knob (it should only go in a little bit, but it's definite). Once there, while holding in, turn the knob CLOCKWISE only slightly...once the knob is depressed, it's only got to remove enough of that tab to make it out from the housing. If you're turning it further than what's required to turn the lights on, that's too much. Then simply pull...you won't feel any definite click or release when removing the switch, and I think that's why i had so much trouble with it the first few times.

It's important once you've got the switch out of the housing to turn the lights back off before removing the plug...don't want to fry anything.

I have to ask, though...why are you taking it off? Did you get a Euroswitch, are you trying to disable the DRL's, what?
Fisrt off, thanks for replying!
got the headlights in. Still can't get the switch out. Gonna go out again and try #3.
Yes its the Euroswitch. It also came with a new switch for the interior? dimmer with something else written on it. Anyway, it won;t fit my car. I have a 2000 B5 and the interior dimmer switch is oval, not rectangular.
Michael

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well Duh. I got it. Who ever said it was right. I WAS trying too hard.

Now, from one problem to another.

The outer projector beams work, but the other two smaller bulbs don't light up. I didn't do anything but plug and go, no changes. What could this be?

Thanks again for everyones help. Saved me a ton of time.
Michael

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
hwmike said:
BTTT. I need to drive tonight. Anyone know why the other lights aren't working?
If you're talking about the little w5w bulbs that are under the main high beam bulbs, those are city lights and you'll need to perform another mod to get those to work.

Check out this link: how to hook up the city lights in a HID unit on a b5

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.