Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a problem. My mother called, somthing is wrong with her computer. I went over to take a look, here is what I got.

Upon boot up, the computer halts saying "Windows could not start becasue the following fe is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting the Windows setup using the original Setup CD-ROM
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair"

I tried safe mode, last known good configuration, nothing worked.

Also stuck the Windows XP cd in there, tried to do the "repair" but it just goes to a DOS style prompt, with a hundred different commands and no explanation.

Any idea on how I could fix this? Also I would prefere to not have to reformat the drive. My mom has stuff on there she dosen't want to lose.

let me know thanks!

oh yea its XP Home edition.

-Nick

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry, let me clarify.

I can get the computer to to boot off the Win XP CD, and get it into "repair mode"

But I don't know what to do with it then. Like I said there are about 100 commands, and no descriptions. So I don't know which one to use.

How do I repair or restore the file?

thanks.

-Nick

·
Registered
468 Posts
The important thing to ask is "what changed?". It was working before and now it's not.
Some threads I've read say they get that error after installing a modem or some other hardware. Some say that the registry is too large (only 16mb available at that point in the boot process) but I don't believe someone could have a registry that big.
Do some reading and searching. I copied the first line of your error into google, fixed the spelling and got more than 56k pages. The answer is most likely in the first 25 hits.
Another important question to ask is "where's your most recent backup?".
HTH and let us know what the solution was.
cheers :beer:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
4 Participants
teknubic
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing