Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!! I am Trying to change the oil with my mityvac extractor. Problem, I can't get it to extract the oil. I know the extractor works because I tried to extract water from a jar to test it, yes it works. Any tips from those of you who use the extractor would be appreciated. My engine is a 2003 1.8T. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Make sure you have the valve to "Extract" and the valve where you pour the waste oil out of fully sealed down. You have to hit the "sweet spot" where the oil is so move it down slowly until you hit that spot and then it will start to come out. Keep pumping it until the handle will go up on its own when you push it down. hopefully that will help...

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Are you doing this with a cold or warm engine ? Makes a huge different if the engine is cold, as if trying to suck thick tar through a small tube.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Of the three tube sizes, I use the middle one. I get the most out of my '99 1.8T by having the curve back toward me as it goes down into the dip stick tube. I turn it a bit and it will go almost all the way in. Then each time it starts to run out of the oil it can reach I pull it back a little. Keep on doing this till its not able to get any more. About 4.5 quarts.

I tried using the small tube, but I don't get any more out and it is slower.

Do you have the 4200 or 4201? I have the 4200; 4201 is bigger.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
well, i have a pela oil extractor. i put the tube down till the first point of resistance, and that seems to work good for me.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have the Griot's Garage extractor, and using the largest diameter tube with a warm engine will extract the most oil.
Kevin

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
why not just drain it? Don't you have to pull the splash guard off to change the filter anyways? This seems like it would take longer, and then you have to clean your mityvac. Why not just save the mityvac for brakes and clutches?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I guess you know your on ClubB5 too much when this happens to you. I had a dream that someone from ClubB5 showed me exactly how the oil pan and pump are laid out relative to the oil dipstick, proving the best way to put the suction tube in to get the oil out. What's even funnier is that ClubB5 is that good! I just finished changing my front brakes with the step-by-step instructions in the Info Forum! :lol:

Anyway, related to this post, I learned here to change the oil filter by moving the coolant recovery tank, putting a 1 gallon baggie around the filter to catch the oil and change it from above. It works great. I am going to try the NAPA 1333 oil filter (aka Big Kahuna) when I change my oil in 3,000 miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts