Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think it is my tie rods. could be a control arm.
when i jack up the front end of the car and grab the front tire (either side), it feels like the wheel is jiggling loose on the hub. the lugs are tight.
i can see from both sides that the joint of the tie rod end is allowing about 2-4mm play. -and yes, the rubber boots cracked ages ago.
is this the tell-tale signs of worn tie rod ends?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
another tie rod bites the dust(boot)

yeah, new tie rod ends are needed. i got some at Pep Boys, but they do not fit... I did spend a little time pulling on the controll arms. they seem fine with 100K+ miles, but all the bushings have small tears in them. i dont thinK the tears are a big deal, it probably just decreases the compliance of the suspension? whatchya think?

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Re: another tie rod bites the dust(boot)

X-VWGLX said:
yeah, new tie rod ends are needed. i got some at Pep Boys, but they do not fit... I did spend a little time pulling on the controll arms. they seem fine with 100K+ miles, but all the bushings have small tears in them. i dont thinK the tears are a big deal, it probably just decreases the compliance of the suspension? whatchya think?
tears let dirt and dust enter the joint . . . . that wears down the joint and causes them to get screwed up.

Dave

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.