Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have spent the whole of today looking for a crowsfoot socket 38mm or 1.5 inch with any drive, to remove the trackrod end at the rack.
There are no such sockets in the whole of the UK, the only people that have this socket are VW and guess what they won't sell it to you.
Tried every tool company or importer in the UK.Snap on have one but they don't import to the UK(3-4 weeks) .McMaster have one but they are US based.

Help! Does any one in the UK know of where I can lay my hands on such a tool.
Next step may be angle grinding the trackrod of at the ball joint neck and using a normal socket ,if that is available .

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
Try eBay?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ebay saved me a lot of grief .thanks for the tip
I managed to contact somone with a snap-on 1.5 inch socket crowsfoot for sale and got the job done the next day.Easy when you have the right tools.
It is somewhat surprising how badly worn the ball joint was on the track rod.I would strongly advise a check on your car if it is a 98 B5,it is probably masked by the steering damper that the rack has.
Also make sure you get the correct gaiter for the rack if it is damaged the chassis number around 98 means 2 possiblities exist .The only way is to take the old one to the VW parts dealer. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.