Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just recently blacked out my taillights (which looks amazing by the way) put everything back together and I noticed, when I turn my lights on I have no light at all in the taillights coming on. All the bulbs are good. My turn signals still work as well as my brake lights. But I can't figure out why the lights will not come on when I turn the lights switch on.:banghead: I also checked all fuses, all look good. And I would think they are recieving signal b/c why else would they come on when I use the turn signals. Any ideas???

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All these things are good, and what blows my mind is that they would have to be for them to turn on with the turn signals, I just don't get why they won't stay on for the night time lights. They will only light if I turn on the turn signal or four-way flasher

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
The running light portion is a different filament than the brake or turn signal, so it is totally possible for them to work while the running lights don't. My bet is that the dual filament bulbs are bad...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I think I'm gonna do is just get some taillight bulbs (probably all, they don't look that expensive) and replace them. Hopefully it is a filament problem. Give it a shot let ya know

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread.

Same thing happened to me with my 98 1.8T last night + I got pulled over for no tail lights and no license plate light :(

The fix?

Checked all the bulbs and fuses. Everything was fine. Even took the truck liner apart searching for frayed wires.

Then it hit me.

I took the head light switch nob out (by turning switch to "on" while also pushing down (releases little tabs) then pulling out the entire switch out).

I jumped the 14 pin (tail light switch) to the 15 pin (power) with a piece of welding wire and voila, the lights work.

So now I need to replace the switch itself ($50 or so online).

Problem solved (in case this hasn't been addressed before).

Crappy cell phone pic for good measure :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
My car has the same problem, been lookin for a solution and i think the one described looks to be apt, will check it and update it. By the way what was the switch you bought?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts