Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever i brake steadily then increase pressure i get a clunk from my driver side wheel area. It also happens sometimes when i'm braking and just about to come to stop sometimes with two smaller clunks. Does anyone know what suspension part this could be?? it doens't sound like the control arm symptoms to me and someone said it may be a hung up caliper or brake pad in the caliper or somethin. Anyone got suggestions??? TIA

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
You might be hearing a dead horse. [cough][/cough]

Where you've been since May 2003? :weirdo:

Personally, I hear this too but there's tons of theory as to where and what causes this noise. It's a Volkswagen.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea but its never happened and just started a few days ago and now happens more often.

·
Registered
214 Posts
this just started happening to me too.. right after I installed my springs :nervous: it sounds like it pivots when i start moving, when i stop moving, and when I turn...i hope my wheel doesnt fall off

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Been lookin' for almost a year to no avail. Three mechanics, also, including a Phaeton-qualified dealer 'lead' mechanic. To no avail. Replaced the front snub mount with an APR, made the clunk a little less noticeable and also 'crisper'. Tweaked all the sub-frame bolts to little/no avail. Next step - a camera I can glue in place and watch as I drive down the street. It's plain enough and loud enough where the mechanics all swear it should be very evident once the car's up on a lift, but...to no avail. One guy's really torqued, too - like I should be! Sources I've heard of are subframe bolts, lower control arms, engine or transmission mounts. Check 'em all!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
chalpav6 said:
this just started happening to me too.. right after I installed my springs :nervous: it sounds like it pivots when i start moving, when i stop moving, and when I turn...i hope my wheel doesnt fall off
Don't think mine is the same as yours. Mine never happens when i start off or turn or hit bumps or anything. Only occurs under braking.

·
Registered
299 Posts
B5veedub said:
Whenever i brake steadily then increase pressure i get a clunk from my driver side wheel area. It also happens sometimes when i'm braking and just about to come to stop sometimes with two smaller clunks. Does anyone know what suspension part this could be?? it doens't sound like the control arm symptoms to me and someone said it may be a hung up caliper or brake pad in the caliper or somethin. Anyone got suggestions??? TIA

Interesting. Last week, I started hearing a "clunk" sound under braking in my B5.5. It's somewhat random though. It seems to happen more when the brakes warmed up, and mostly braking at low speeds (between 5 and 40mph). I had new rotors/brakes put in (no by VW), but that was over a month ago. Two days ago, I would just tap the brakes (not enough to jolt the suspension) and I heard a clunk (not loud, but could feel it through the steering wheel).

I'm going to try to figure out how to replicate the problem "on demand" and take it to VW.

-Craig

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I hear this problem too and I dont think its coming from the suspension. It might be coming from the brakes but I might be mistaken. Mine doesnt happen all the time just randomly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
outrun said:
B5veedub said:

Interesting. Last week, I started hearing a "clunk" sound under braking in my B5.5. It's somewhat random though. It seems to happen more when the brakes warmed up, and mostly braking at low speeds (between 5 and 40mph). I had new rotors/brakes put in (no by VW), but that was over a month ago. Two days ago, I would just tap the brakes (not enough to jolt the suspension) and I heard a clunk (not loud, but could feel it through the steering wheel).

I'm going to try to figure out how to replicate the problem "on demand" and take it to VW.

-Craig
It could be the brake pad because the OE or aftermarket ones do not fit exactly as they have larger tolerance. While under braking the pad shifts and hit the caliper. I experience the same thing with mintex pads. Gave it up and use back VW ones.

·
Registered
965 Posts
A lot of odd suspension noises could be attributable to installation issues, especially if the noise is coming right after having your suspension installed.
Check to make sure the top strut nut is TIGHT. This is by far the most common source of noise after a suspension install. Mechanics simply use an impact gun to tighten that nut, and rarely do they properly torque it down.
A loose strut nut could cause all sorts of unusual clunk sounds, and unfortunately it'll cause your upper strut bushing to wear out also. The inner hole gets worn away during the movements, which you'll have to replace.

If it's brakes that are making noises, check for pad delamination. It's fairly common problem with all brake pads where the friction layer separates from the backing plate. Your brake effectiveness goes down, but not nearly as bad as you might expect, so it's not a common place to look for noises.

Good luck

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ultravox said:
It could be the brake pad because the OE or aftermarket ones do not fit exactly as they have larger tolerance. While under braking the pad shifts and hit the caliper. I experience the same thing with mintex pads. Gave it up and use back VW ones.
Intersestingly, I had Mintex Red Box pad installed (along with PowerSlot rotors).

It's probably that. I'll call up the install place and see if they can do anything about it.

Doesn't sound like anything serious, but it certainly is annoying.

-Craig

·
Registered
54 Posts
mine noise became aparent when we got the new tires put on.

but i haven't put the belly pan back on after the oil change,
i was thinking it was the mount points for the belly pan...

hmmmmmmmmm... what to do what to do... very annoying.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have the EXACT same issue.
New suspension 1 week ago and now a high pitched rattle coming from front.
Only on rough pavement or city titties.
I'm concerned.
Any help?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I'm floored that none of you know what this is....

Control Arms! I forget which is which but a clunk is lower and groans are upper... or the opposite :???:

Search around on the site reguarding control arms and youll find a boatload of info...

I'm guessing you all hear it from the front and at low speeds?? :wink:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have the same problem on my 1.8T 99 GLS Tip.
In my case, It doesnt only happen when braking..

It happens when I am backing out of my garage and turning the wheel to the left or right (foot not on brakes) and ..."CLUNK!!" sounds like its coming from the wheel well of driver side..i can "feel it" through the floor!

Feels like the suspension is about to fall off..

Can this be a sticky until we figure out what this is?

I tried tightening the subframe bolts like was mentioned in one post and checked everything else. :???: :sad: :cry: :mad:

·
Registered
128 Posts
Do a search on "control arms". This is a notoriuos problem for the B5. When you install new springs or dampners, your putting alot of stress on the other suspension components. The control arms are not durable to begin with and with the added stress of a sport suspension they will wear out faster than you'll believe. If they are already worn out but not yet making noise, when you install that suspension - they'll start sqeaking, clunking, groaning and rattling.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts