Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

2001 V6 B5 with 86K here. I went to start it up after it had sat for 3 days. On startup, the car sputtered and shook pretty hard for about 15 seconds. I restarted and it seemed to even out pretty quickly. I now have a CEL and Emmisions Workshop flashes on startup but the car runs fine. Any ideas where to start? Should I take it to Autozone to get the codes and post back here? I guess I should have set aside some Christmas money for my car as well... :banghead: Can the cold weather bring on these kinds of issues? The cold weather just started a couple days ago... Seemed fine before that.

By the way, I had all the big ticket items done at 80K, such as TB, plugs, filters, etc...

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
Get the code read and report back. It might be a bad wire as they can be easily broken while changing the plugs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am interested in your response as well because my 04 1.8T has been sitting for about 6 days and when I went to start it this morning it did the exact same thing as you described. The engine light flashed initially and now it is on permanently. After warming up the car seems fine but I do not have a warm fuzyy...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's an update. Shortly after I posted this the CEL went away. The car has run fine ever since. I had the codes read at Autozone which turned up random misfires as well as misfires on 2 and 6. Maybe some bad gas? Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
594 Posts
after my V6 sat around for a week or two it did the same thing......it might have something to do with the fuel system, ie....sitting around it is possible for certain things to happen to the gas such as water absorbtion, separation, deposits etc.......last time I put a little fuel stabilizer & fuel additive (techron) even though the problem will disappear on its own..

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:

I ended up putting an isopropyl based additive in it at someones suggestion. No problems until yesterday. I drove about twenty minutes on the highway with no problems. When I exited the ramp and came to a stop the car shuddered again with a CEL and the emissions workshop message. It went away immediately and no problems since.

I scanned it and have a misfire on cylinder 2 ( P0302 ). The first time it was random and on 2 and 6. Think it is just a case of bad gas and the problem is getting better? Should I do another gas treatment? The parts guy suggested a Berryman product called "Super Concentrated Fuel Injector Cleaner"

Any suggestions? Would you start looking into other possibilities?

One side note: I notice that the exhaust smells very rich first thing in the morning. Is this normal?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.