Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got to work just fine this morning. Started the car to go to lunch. It didn't start as fast as it normally does. Car sputtered along like it was running on 3 cylinders. Sounded like misfiring. It finally died and now when I try to start it, it sputters for a couple seconds and dies. It turns over pretty strong.

Any ideas before I get raped at the dealer? I need to get home! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
This may sound ghetto but have someone pound on the sparkplug wires with fist while u crank the car up. This should get you home. When you get home you need to check your sparkplugs

·
6th Grade
14,917 Posts
Don't "pound" on the plug wires.

Did it rain there today? If it didn't, plug wires probably aren't you problem.

Is it a really short trip to work? 5-valve Passats don't like repeated short trips. If that is the case, new plugs will probably fix it; they foul out after lots of short trip driving.

If your commute is a commute, well, I dunno. Take it in.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yay, Sharky! It's a true commute. All freeway around 30 miles each way. I only drive it once or twice a week though.

More info: GIAC chip, BMC/CDA airfilter box, lightweight pulleys, catback.

Now it turns over, and won't catch at all.

8,184 Posts
Yay, Sharky! It's a true commute. All freeway around 30 miles each way. I only drive it once or twice a week though.

More info: GIAC chip, BMC/CDA airfilter box, lightweight pulleys, catback.

Now it turns over, and won't catch at all.
Thats it I bet you.....I had the same iusse it wants to start but won't turn over. How long have you been chipped?? I would call your tuner right away and tell them they didn't solder the chip right, they should resolder it and pay for the shipping back. A new ECU is alot of loot, but its not bad just the GIAC chip came loose. Did you get chipped at DSR??

8,184 Posts
I had mine in for a year before it just happened. I toke a long drive and came back, with out any iusses. Then I when to start the next day...nothing at all. I then somehow after cranking her a few times got her to start to her to the dealer and they couldn't even get a any codes or connect at all. So I drove down and pulled it out and mail DSR the ECU. they put in a brand new ccip and resolder it...no iusses at all after that.

8,184 Posts
Well they pluged in three VAG tools to read the codes and nothing would read......so I would get a ODB2 reader and try that....it will ether say can not connect or it will tell you whats wrong:thumbup:

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
A bad chip usually just kills the engine at random times. I would look at the coil/ICM. Check for spark.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
This happened to me two years ago: car would just die from time to time. It ended up being a cracked solder joint on the socket for the chip (DIY soldering fixed it).

If you have to DIY in the parking lot, try just re-soldering the four corner pins on your chip -- they're the most likely to have been overstressed.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
^^V6's have a set of three ignition coils located near the front of the engine. Each coil has two spark wires attached to it.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
v6's don't have coil packs, do they? and at least for the 1.8, the '01 doesn't have icm.
Yup, 3 coils and I have heard there is an ICM in there, but have never seen it.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yesterday I opened up the ECU and the chip looks fine. Would the bad solder job be easy to notice? Or would I have to look for it?

Coils and ICM issues would be detected by a Vag right? Whaddya say, Dan? :whistle: ;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts