Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my son and I installed the rear fog lights in my B5.5 (minor victory). I want to connect the instrument cluster indicator for the rear fogs as well. I have seen the schematic by gordy and a link to some photographs of the procedure. These will be helpful.

On gordy's schematic and in the photos, the installation included a 10amp fuse at the point where the wire to the tail light assembly and the wire to the instrument cluster split from one another.

I used European bulb holders for my rear fogs as opposed to using a diode. Is the 10amp fuse only necessary when using the diode? Is the 10amp fuse only necessary when connecting the instrument cluster indicator? Is the 10amp fuse always necessary?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Is your question only to activate the instrument cluster indicator?
When I activated mine, I didn't have to deal with a 10amp or diode.
It's simply running a wire from slot #14 from the tachometer plug and piggybacking it onto the hot wire for the rear fog line. I have a B5 though, so it might differ slightly.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
blakwag,

Yes, I just need to know whether the 10amp fuse is required when activating the instrument cluster rear fog indicator. I have already installed the the rear fogs w/o a fuse using the European bulb holder and not the diode method. My car is a B5.5.

I know the rear fog install for B5 is a bit different that the procedure for a B5.5 so I don't know if your set up (w/o fuse) will work for me.

Anyone else care to help me out...?

Thanks!

·
Registered
322 Posts
From a post that I remember it was stated that the power to the headlight switch was already fused, negating the need for one. A look at the wire diagram would confirm this (but it can't hurt having an extra one) The diodes have nothing to do with having a fuse, they only keep a lamp from turning on when it is not supposed to.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Rpaller, did you solder the lead from the Euroswitch into the blue molex harness behind the instrument cluster or is it possible to use the yellow VW connector part # 000-979-126?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I too have a new B5.5, and just got the euro tail lights from the group buy.
I will be installing the EuroLight switch, and hope to activate both the front and rear fog light icons in the dash.
I expected that there would be a front fog icon from the factory?
Do we know for sure there ARE front and rear foglight icons in a B-5.5?
A B-5.5 Pinout would be great!

Also, I saw sombody on the web that sold the complete wire with connectors to do this upgrade. (They also sold the euro switches, etc)
Can't find them again, now that I need them.
Anybody know of it?

2004 Passat B-5.5 TDI Variant – Black with tan leather
:b5:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Slider,

If your car is like most others, then there is already a pin (without a wire) in slot #14 from the factory. There's no need to solder if you're somewhat crafty.

Here's what I did:

I tapped the rear fog wire coming from the euroswitch with a scotch-lok, then I stripped backed the other end of the wire to expose some bare wire. I then twisted the bare wire to avoid fraying and inserted the twisted wire into slot 14 of the connector. Next I used the blade from a utility knife to close the clamps at the end of the pin (somewhat tedious but effective) to secure the wire. My wire was secure enough to withstand a gentle tug, so barring an accident, it will probably hold for a while. There are other ways to secure the wire, but I know nothing about soldering and this has worked fine for me.

I do have a B5, but this is simply wire tapping and unless they stopped placing the open pin in slot #14, then this will work as I described it. No 10amp fuse used here.

Please make sure your battery is disconnected before doing this!! You are tampering with the electrical system.

Mike

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mrlvdub,

Thanks for the information.

Would the female contact, VW part # Part # 000-979-126, provide a secure connection with the pin in slot #14?

Also, as I am always asking stupid questions on this forum that reveal my gross ignorance, you should not be suprised that I ask you what a "scotch-lok" is and where would I purchase one.

Thanks,

Slider.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.