Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just acquired a 2000 Passat GLS and I am in need of G12 A8D....since I bought the car from a small dealership (not a VW) I don't think they would have it available and don't want them putting generic coolant into my tank. Will generic coolant really screw it up? If so where can I get some G12?

Thanks a lot in anticipation,
Jeff Lakevicius

·
Registered
642 Posts
You definitely don't want to mix the coolants... the combination of the two can cause the metal to corrode and break down faster. You would need to flush the entire system out THOROUGHLY before switching to the G11 (blue stuff).

I'm pretty sure you can only get the G12 coolant (the pink stuff) from a VW dealership. You may try Drew Parts - they may sell it online (and you get a discount ;) ).

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yes G11 is the generic Autozone (blue coolant) that you buy anywhere...

The pink coolant (G12) is not easy to find, unless you're at the dealership (it's expensive when compared to the price of the blue coolant).

To flush the system completely - you need to drain all the coolant out, then flush with water. You can also pick up radiator flush kits at Autozone (they will have some solutions in the kit to totally clean out the system).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the kit at autozone, do I just buy it and put it in the expansion tank, and it will do the work itself? Here is my problem, see if you can help me out...

I was driving home and the stop light on the computer came on, my temp went up to 260 and I stopped and let the engine cool down and eventually got it home. I am thinking it may have been a boil over, because upon popping the hood the coolant in the expansion tank began to boil. The coolant eventually all came out, and there is none left...I don't think I blew a hose because it would have all come out at once, but if it was a boil over- it would boil and eventually enough back pressure would cause it to drain. On the other hand it could have frozen? What do you think?

·
Registered
642 Posts
That's a tough call - so where did the coolant drain out of?

The kit I'm talking about usually deals with patching a connection in a hose so you can attach a garden hose and flush the system. But sounds like you may need a professional to flush the system for you - and diagnose any other issues.

Try doing a search on the forums (and on the VW Vortex Forums) - and see if anyone else has had this issue.

Sorry, couldn't be more help...Good luck... :wink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the help you have given me...it drained drop by drop at a steady rate from what looked like near the steering wheel of the car...underneath of course...not near the radiator or the acutal expansion tank itself. :???:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
2 Participants
Lakevicius2k
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing