Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i was driving this morning, in tip mode, i noticed when i shift from 1st to 2nd the rpms will dip slightly. like once it has totally shifted it will almost lose power for a second. i thought maybe fuel filter, which has 140k on it, so i changed that today. and i also changed the spark plugs which where also original to the car. i replaced them with oem nkg plugs. all of this did nothing. any ideas?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i just changed air filters last week, and my maf is only about 3 months old. what else?

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
wow 140k on plugs and a fuel filter? I hope your fuel pump doesn't take a crap from that. plugs should be changed every 40 and fuel filters are 20 or 40, I forget. Are the ignition coils original too? They may be one of the many recalled versions.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
very possible. im not the original owner. my brother was before. and he didnt take good care of it unfortunately. i believe ignition coils are. i didnt know i was supposed to change those, how expensive are they? and can i still take advantage of the recall?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yes if your car is covered under the recall VW will change all 4 for you for free, but if your not it cost like 120 for a set of 4 OEM Coils

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Call up your local VW dealer and see if a service writer can look up your car by telling them your vin #. They can enter it in and it will tell them if any or how many recalls apply to your car and if they were or were not completed.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well mine were bad I had misfiring in two cylinders so I had to change them and I just thought I would change all 4 since I was doing it. But if those are the originals I would replace them you will see a huge difference if the coil is bad and you put a new one, the car loses so much power when it is bad but if there fine and the original coils then you have some super coils! (Iv had to change mine atleast 5 times since new they go bad so often its crazy, idk why our cars are not covered)

·
Registered
224 Posts
you will know its a major power loss and the car will hesitate to accelerate, and you will have a check engine light. But you can always have the car checked for codes

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
idk why our cars are not covered
They are 10 years old. That is why. VW doesn't see the point in replacing these parts in cars that are so old. They probably assume the issue has already been resolved at some time during the cars life. My passat (a 98 gls sedan) only received 2 recalls ever. Almost every Passat received the R5 recall which installs a new heat shield, removes certain pieces of trim for the fuel lines and checks computer software levels, but my car did not get this because of why?? Age my friend, age. I've done so many recalls on my car personally because VW does not recognize the need to do them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts