Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the family camping this weekend in Pottsville PA, we are from Reading PA, about a 42 mile trip. On the way home coming out of the mountains of pottsville the gas pedal stopped responding. Pull the car over and it shuts off. I try to start it and it only cranks. I pulled off the TB cover at the top and the belt is there and teeth are not chewed off. Next thing I do is pull the wett chip and replace w/factory chip. Still no start, just crank. The only thing I have done to my car in past couple days is to install kenwood nav. I have the car at my house now, where is the fuel pump relay? Any other suggestions would help. It is under warrant, but I would rather stay away from the dealer due to all of the mods.

2003 variant 5 speed 1.8t

Michael

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,507 Posts
... On the way home coming out of the mountains of pottsville the gas pedal stopped responding. Pull the car over and it shuts off. ...
2003 variant 5 speed 1.8t

Michael
Was your car built during the infamous run of bad fuel pumps? If so, you are well-covered.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Probably fuel pump. Fuel pump relay is relay 372 on the relay panel under the driver's side dash. Also check your fuel pump fuse 28.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Build date 10/02. I assume I will be covered. Thanks for the quick responses

Michael

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just got in from having the car towed to the dealer. I will call them in the morning and let them know of the problem and hopefully they can fit me in. I hope they don't give me problems about all of the mods. I have had other work done there, but I always worry. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Michael

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update:
Called the dealer and they let me know that I need a new ECU. The service advisory said while we have it we are performing 4 recalls: seat heater, heat shield, FUEL PUMP, forgot the last one. I asked if they could look at the creaking and groaning coming from the front end. He said no problem, because the ecu will not be there till wed.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:
Called the dealer and they let me know that I need a new ECU. The service advisory said while we have it we are performing 4 recalls: seat heater, heat shield, FUEL PUMP, forgot the last one. I asked if they could look at the creaking and groaning coming from the front end. He said no problem, because the ecu will not be there till wed.
Here is what I think: I removed the wett chip and reinstalled the factory chip. I think I installed it backwards. So when they hooked up the computer it prob gave them an ECU fault. Then in the process replaced the fuel pump under the recall. The only thing that stinks for me is I have to send the new ecu to wett to have it socketed. Or can anyone install a socket?????

Michael

·
Registered
356 Posts
Well there is one good question which is how much warranty do you have still have? Are you going to have to pay for it? If you don't have to pay for it, you may want them to do it, and then go get Wett to socket it. If you do have to pay for it, just tell them that you are chipped and that you don't want them to buy a new one for you. Your warranty has to be close to be over now...

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
Update:
Here is what I think: I removed the wett chip and reinstalled the factory chip. I think I installed it backwards. So when they hooked up the computer it prob gave them an ECU fault. Then in the process replaced the fuel pump under the recall. The only thing that stinks for me is I have to send the new ecu to wett to have it socketed. Or can anyone install a socket?????

Michael
If I'm understanding this, the dealer is replacing under warranty your Wett socketed ecu with the stock prom installed backwards. So now you'll have to probably pay somebody to put a new Wett socket in. I'd really wonder if it might be easier to have them give you the "broken" ecu and have you take it into the parking lot (or the restroom) and install the prom correctly. 2 reasons. One, you'll probably have some cost in getting re-socketed. Two, if they ever trace back the socketed ecu to you, I'm not sure how they'll handle it, no matter if its actually fried or not. It's one thing not having others things blamed on being chipped, but I've never heard of anyone getting a chipped ecu replaced under warranty.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I may have worded it incorrectly. They are replacing my "stock" ecu w/ a new stock ecu. They did not pull the ecu apart, they just hooked up to the computer and it gave them a code that prompted them to order a new ecu. Yes the down side is I am losing my socketed ecu and will get screwed by the new Wett rep. I have not heard anything good about them yet. I may try sending it to the wett dealer I talked to in Canada, I cannot remember the name, but I talked with them on the phone about a K04 program and they were more than willing to help me out. Hopefully they can help me out. I cannot afford a new chip at this time and just got all the parts to install my FMIC. I would hate to have to sell it to afford another chip. I truly think a storm cloud follows our family. We have had the worst year ever. My wife and I try to live a truthful and honest lives so our kids will respect everyone and know right from wrong. But it always seems to come back and bite us in the a&*. Sorry for the rant, it has been a bad monday.

Michael

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
but if the dealer sends the ecu back to vw for warranty, and vw denies warranty, then i'm not sure what the dealer would do about it, since the malfunction could be traced back to the chip.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess their is a chance that could happen, I will have to keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Good luck. I would be worried about that ECU going back to VW for analysis. On the other hand, I doubt they look over every part that is replaced under warranty.

BTW, I sent you an email about the shifter.

·
needs more cowbell
5,945 Posts
perhaps if a warranty claim is denied, you could source an ECU here or on carpart and save some money.

sorry things are going bad for you. hang in there.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Hmmm... this is just an idea, but possibly the "real" cause of your problem is a bad fuel pump. However, when the VAG'd your ECU, it came back with "not ready" for just about every stat. If the dealer did not crack open the ECU, they don't know that you haven't driven the car with the stock chip, hence the "not ready" indication. If they HAD cracked open the ECU, obviously they wouldn't be offering to replace it, since chipping obviously is going to create warranty issues with the ECU itself.

Lucky for you (if the issue IS a bad pump), recalls can be done for anybody, even if your car is modded to heck and back.

SirWired

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
I would hate to have to sell it to afford another chip. I truly think a storm cloud follows our family. We have had the worst year ever. My wife and I try to live a truthful and honest lives so our kids will respect everyone and know right from wrong. But it always seems to come back and bite us in the a&*. Sorry for the rant, it has been a bad monday.
Keep it strong......don't let anything fade you or your ways.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sirwired,
You hit the nail on the head, I beleive that is what they did. As far as checking the bad parts, I have an inside source that tells me they go into a bin for a while then they go into the trash. I have gotten a lot of good junk from my source and that bin.

Michael

1 - 20 of 28 Posts