Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
P1296 = DTC 17704 = Cooling system malfunction = Coolant temperature sensor fault...

Find someone with a VAG-COM, and read the readings from the Coolant Temperature Sensor. If the readings are erratic, replace it.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, thank you. That seems about right. That means I can safely go and get chipped this Saturday, before I go to the dealer. Would getting chipped clear the code though?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Not too sure whether you're safe to go get chipped, but I'd go replace the Coolant Temperature Sensor some time soon if it's malfunctioning to make sure the engine doesn't overheat?

Imagine a chipped car, overheats, .................................. :poke:

You can clear codes with a VAG-COM too.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
The sensors are suspect because they generally suck, but that particular code usually points to a thermostat problem, not the sensor.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Sharky said:
The sensors are suspect because they generally suck, but that particular code usually points to a thermostat problem, not the sensor.
Just had this code come up today. At the same time my check engine light was on, I noticed my temp not pegged at 190 as usual -- it was two 'notches' cooler.

Do you think it is a stuck/open thermostat as opposed to the sensor?

Thanks!

--------------------------------
UPDATE: Nevermind -- sorry to bring up an old thread. I tried to be good and use the search feature but wouldn't you know the exact same thing is being discussed currently two threads down! :p

·
Registered
444 Posts
Quite possibly. See if the engine stays cool if you drive at about 60mph in top gear, then if you stop and rev the engine, see if it warms up quickly. If so, could quite possibly be the 'stat. I've got to change mine as soon as it gets in stock at VW.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Beave Hive said:
Just had this code come up today. At the same time my check engine light was on, I noticed my temp not pegged at 190 as usual -- it was two 'notches' cooler.

Do you think it is a stuck/open thermostat as opposed to the sensor?

Thanks!

--------------------------------
UPDATE: Nevermind -- sorry to bring up an old thread. I tried to be good and use the search feature but wouldn't you know the exact same thing is being discussed currently two threads down! :p

see what the vagcom reads ,the coolant sensor has two outputs one for the cluster one for the ECU...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts