Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how bad the situation is, but the car has been running fine. There are no indicators of anything being off. The gas mileage is the same, power and throttle....everything feels the same.

About a couple of thousand miles ago, while chaning the plugs I noticed one of them to be lose. As I removed it I noticed oil on the plug (both sides). I figured something may be off but since the plug was loose anything is possible.

Today, I checked the same plug. It was tight this time but there was still oil on both sides. What could this mean? When it happened the first time, I spoke to Ron Wood at VW Specialties who said it may be a head gasket (I think). If that's the case, its a cheap piece and easy to change. But if not, what else could this mean? Could it be a piston ring? If the oil originates on either side of the plug, how is it going in between the plug to the other side?

Thanks,
mike5

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
valve cover gasket !!!

20 dollars from esc tuning and 35-40 minutes tops to change out.

I am almost 100% positive that this is your problem. The loose sparkplug could have let oil seep down past the threads ,unlikely But VCG is a good place to start.

Head gasket is another possible source. How can you say that is an easy job.

Pete

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Mike I just reread your post. You mention head gasket that is exspensive to replace, as the entire top half of the motor must come out of the car.

so try the valve cover cgasket first.

Pete

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Head gasket is not an easy change. Even the gaskets I believe are about 100 bucks. Where as a VCG is about 15. A VCG change is about an hour and minimal tools and requires minimal work. The head gasket requires a significant amount of work. If Rob at VW says it is simple, ask him how much something this simple costs.

Here is a link of when I cmae across a similar problem. As is common to the 1.8T - and seems V6 even - the VCG isn't a "lifetime" product and needs changed.

The reason for oil is not the valve cover gasket, per se, but part of the valve cover gasket set.. the spark plug gaskets.

Points of interest for you:

http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=67284&highlight=&sid=7d4564be17b6ad24a3684e0779e32eaf

http://1.8t.org/~quattroman/Audi%20B5%2097-2001/Engine%20Mechanical/1.8T%205V%20(AEB%20&%20ATW)/Engine/15-2%20Cylinder%20head%20removing%20&%20installing.pdf

I am unable to locate a photo of my plugs with oil on em. Check that first link above, then go to the link within it. There will be the write up and you will see the gasket which borders the spark plugs.

The second link is about a head gasket replacement on an AEB 1.8T. That number 1 in the diagram alllll the way on the bottom is the gasket.

Good luck, keep us up informed. :thumbup:

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info everyone. You guys have saved me before (specifically ICM) so I'll trust you guys with this one as well.

BTW: Ron said the VCG, not the head gasket like I said before. Sorry for the confusion. I'll probably do this next weekend and will let you know what the results are.

Since you guys are so good to me...I'll share my most recent pic:

mike5

1 - 7 of 7 Posts