Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to have my car inspected, the NY State inspection machine would not communicate with my passat through the OBDII connector if you put a scan tool on the vehicle it will communicate with the system, if you scan the ABS system there is no communication with the scanner. Does anyone know if ABS communications is affecting the communications with the NY State inspection machine? I know the American made cars with the ABS light on will not affect NY State Inspection. There is NO aftermarket radio installed on this vehicle. Can anyone help me on this?
Thanks in advance for the help

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Is your ABS light on? If the module is defective, that could definitely foul things up. (The same way the aftermarket radio might...) However, I'd kick up a fuss about that. If they can test your car's emissions, and a scan tool can communicate fine with the ECU and such through that port, I'd argue that it's not MY fault their machine can't seem to do it.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,906 Posts
do some research. there are quite a few youtube videos detailing the repair of these bosch units with their common fault.

correct me if i'm wrong, but it's a single, yes, ONE, wire that i believe is a ground pin in the unit that goes from the pcb board to a pin on the edge of teh board that tends to fracture.

a little solder later, problem solved.

also, to my knowledge, the abs module, not the hydraulic pump assembly, should be removable without opening any lines.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good to know there is a chance at fixing it, I had just purchased the car so it was dealers responsibility, the cars they sell have to pass inspection.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Send the module to modulemasters or similar and have them rebuild it for around $100-150. The typical failure in these modules is a single wire that breaks connection and kills the module, like sipes said. However, it is NOT a repair you can make with standard soldering equipment - the little gold wire that's used in there will literally vaporize, and you stand a very high risk of damaging the pad that you would be trying to solder to. The factory connection is made with a special solder paste and very low heat. If you don't have extremely high end soldering equipment, a very steady hand, and lots of experience soldering microelectronics and surface mount components while working under magnification, I can pretty much guarantee that you will not be able to make the repair yourself. I am very experienced with this type of soldering, and I have the right equipment, and I still sent the module out for repair rather than trying it myself.

Trust me, just send the thing to one of the rebuild companies, and let them do the work.

·
Registered
3 Posts
UPDATE: After removing the radio and the ABS module, the OBD would still not communicate with the state inspection computer. The mechanic said that the ABS module had locked up the data bus and that removing the module didn't fix it. So he disconnected my battery and let the car drain of any residual power. After that, the data bus unlocked, and the problem was solved.

=====

Similar but different situation: My NY state inspection failed last year after installing an after-market radio. I did some research and learned about the radio problem, so I disconnected it and its harness and voila, it worked.

It's now one year later, and that solution isn't working this time. My inspection guy/mechanic said that NY updated its computers on November 1, and the new one can't connect at all. He spent four hours looking into it, and his own OBD-II tool got the following output:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yz6va4m0s1ribmb/newdoc3_1.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nyfszlzhyje3qm6/newdoc3_2.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mcd8reaa9o612nz/newdoc3_3.jpg

To my untrained eyes, this appears to be an electrical issue, but I thought the much-better-trained eyes on this forum would find clues in here as to the specific problem.

Two specific questions:

1) My approach has been to disconnect the entire harness of the after-market radio instead of disconnecting the K-Wire. Does this make a difference?
2) My ABS light is flashing...but it's been flashing for years. My car has passed inspection several times despite the ABS malfunction. Is there still a chance that the ABS is my issue even though it hasn't been a problem in the past? I guess the new state computer may be less forgiving on this issue than the previous one...Hmm, after typing this out, I realize I may have answered my own question, but I'm still posting this in the hopes that some clues lie within the diagnostic output.

As far as the ABS is concerned, I've read two different suggestions: disconnect the module, and take out the fuse (much easier). What's the consensus solution?

thanks,
-matt

·
Registered
819 Posts
It's now one year later, and that solution isn't working this time. My inspection guy/mechanic said that NY updated its computers on November 1, and the new one can't connect at all. He spent four hours looking into it, and his own OBD-II tool got the following output:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yz6va4m0s1ribmb/newdoc3_1.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nyfszlzhyje3qm6/newdoc3_2.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mcd8reaa9o612nz/newdoc3_3.jpg
Hmmm...How come his own tool connects and reads all those faults, but the state's scanner cannot communicate?
What's the validity of their inspection procedure/s if the scanner they're using is less reliable than a more generic scanning tool?

·
Registered
28 Posts
In my state, we don't have the OBD II requirement to pass the yearly state inspection. Sometime ago, I checked my car with Sears OBD II scanner and no communication then I tried another scanner and it works. Conclusion that the first scanner was at fault. The logic with your issue is maybe the NY State Inspection machine is not compatible with your car. Try another state inspection location in your area.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anybody else had this issue? My ABS Module has been bad for years but I have repeatedly passed NYS Inspections. Yesterday went for inspection and the garage's Inspection scanner couldn't communicate with the vehicle. They said I needed to go to the dealership. I went there this morning and they gave me an appointment 10 days from now since it might not be a simple inspection. (With them there is no chance it will be simple: they will have me in for a sit down and explain why my 2001 vehicle needs $16,000 worth of maintenance.)

Will unplugging the harness to the ABS module allow my garage to communicate with the vehicle?

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Most likely, yes, that will fix the problem.

And if that works, for goodness sakes don't have the dealership swap it out with a new module. Mail the module off to have it rebuilt.

·
Registered
12,069 Posts
Oh, I don't know - before I found this site, I gave the VW dealer $700 for a new module and it worked fine. It's not like I was going to do anything useful with the $550 or so I would have saved...

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Zombie thread, but this stuff still happens.

I went through this with my Passat wagon a few years ago. I should have simply disconnected the ABS, but since I had time, I found a used replacement for $40, and it has worked well so far. I kept the old one for resoldering either at home or by sending it in, if the currently installed one flakes on me.

I chatted with Uwe Ross of Ross-Tech (VCDS/VAG-COM), and he agreed that a flaky ABS can interfere w/ communication. Interestingly, at least for a few days, my VCDS was able to read communicate with the car when the test station rig was not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts