Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so was working on the car with a buddy.. threw the battery in backwards.... blew the alternator.. yea i know bone head ass move.. good thing was that i didnt have HU in the dash.. was sitting on my work bench... for my system i have a circurt breaker so that flipped so my amps and speakers are ok as far as i know... has anyone does this before.. of heard of anyone doing this?? i need to know what to check.. car runs with new alternator... my screens in the headrest work... just not the hu... so im hoping its as simple as a fuse or a relay... lets just say im a dumb ass and i know it... now lets get the tunes back in the car...

thanks..

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
start checking every single fuse in the panel both at the end of the dash and the one accesible by removing the lower dash under the steering wheel.

Pete

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bmpassat said:
start checking every single fuse in the panel both at the end of the dash and the one accesible by removing the lower dash under the steering wheel.

Pete
ok ive checked the drivers side, side dash, and under the steering wheel.. but where is the other fuse panel?? i opened up the side on the passenger side and didnt find anything.. took off the lower side peice and all i got where plugs... am i looking in the wrong area...

·
Registered
969 Posts
There is only one fuse box on the driver's side. Removing the panel under the steering wheel will give you access to the relays. Check these too.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Jdubu81 said:
Bmpassat said:

Pete
ok ive checked the drivers side, side dash, and under the steering wheel.. but where is the other fuse panel?? i opened up the side on the passenger side and didnt find anything.. took off the lower side peice and all i got where plugs... am i looking in the wrong area...
I my car there are several fuse mounted among the relay's under the dash, these are what I was reffering to, also in my ecu box are IIRC 1 or 2 fuses.

Putting a battery in backwards is very bad for the cars electrical system as you allready know, but does EVERYTHING else work as it supposed to, your first post lead to believe so. If they are double check every connection at the deck. I honestly don't know what else it could be.

But I will tell you a bone head dumbass move I did, whil working part time at a car audio shop in the install bay. Install in a BMW 835 CSI, the car comes stock with two batteries in the trunk, as part of the install we were installing a pair of optima yellow tops, we had to fabricate new battery hold down due to the size difference, we used 1/4 inch thick by 1 and 1/4 inch wide aluminum bar stock that was back with a adhesive backed neoprene rubber, both to hold the battery without worrying about crushing the battery, and to insulate the bar, Well as I was installing the driver side battery the bracket slipped and shorted the postive terminal to ground, had to hit the one area without the neoprene reubber, large spark practilly welded the bracket to the trunk floor but luckily no elictrical sytem damage to car so it happens to all of us at one point or another.

Pete

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I am out of options, how close are you to Torrance, it might be worth the drive if you contact FRED(imagedynamicspassat) or maybe someone else down there that could be of more assistance.

Pete

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well the car is with me in AZ right now.. i might take it up to teh guys at MB quart.. since i know them well and have scott one of there installers look at it.. i might even just take it to the dealer.. we got one tech that knows his shit.. and the service manager is coo as hell.. his son had a stage 3 GTG now has a b6 audi a4... lets just say im on there good side.. too bad all the writers are f'en retarted...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Ah I didn't know you were in AZ right now, hopefully it something simple like a single peice of wire that is fried.

The service writers at almost all VW dealers are f'ing retarded so nothing new on that side.

Bewtween those sources you should have the problem nailed down very soon.
Best of luck and I might if everything goes well meet you at the NO CAL vs SO CAL meet in april.

Pete

1 - 13 of 13 Posts