Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone out there know where i can find an actual CAI for my 98 passat 1.8t and if not then is the HKS MegaFlow system worth the money?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I just bought an HKS filter for a supra an bought a 3" spigot and some tubing from homedeopt Looks great, works OK. Im having a heat shield built by local welder, that should help out alot!

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
kezho said:
CAI mod is not justified for our 1.8T cars since the OE air box is just as efficient.
You sound like my wifes 75-year old grandfather that thinks everything should stay factory.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
pancreas said:
kezho said:
CAI mod is not justified for our 1.8T cars since the OE air box is just as efficient.
You sound like my wifes 75-year old grandfather that thinks everything should stay factory.
You are more than welcome to search around here to show cause for a cold air intake for our cars. From what I've read by a lot of people here who have experimented with putting an intake on is it does not produce any significant gains. If you want to do it for looks only, more power to you. I choose to spend my money on things which will definately produce tangible results, like a chip, suspension, exhaust and such.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
kezho said:
I choose to spend my money on things which will definately produce tangible results, like ................, exhaust and such.
In that case you will need to modify intake, more exhale needs more inhale

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
There is no evidence that an air intake upgrade beyond a performance air filter will produce any gains what so ever. Again, I would love to be proven wrong. If it will make me go faster I will do it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It is all about whoosh people!!!! Don't loose sight of that!!!!! To answer your question Passat Racer, there is no cold air intake that I know of... But with some ingenuity, there is room to make a custom one... Just know that it is all about the whoosh! :drink:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I would go with the CDA canister filter that a few members have. Our airbox is already very well insulated from heat, so removing it, and exposing the filter to the hot engine air will only hurt performance. If you want a simple cheap mod, go with a K&N, there are definatly noticable gains with it, though it's not going to give you 10 HP or anything...

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I posted few times some data that Geri find out by measuring work of BMC CDA on V6. Measuring was done this way: 2 stock filter V6s and his one with CDA
than his with open cone K&N. Measures ended with best results for CDA in 2 important points quantity of air MASS sucked by filter (1CDA,2OE,3KN) and temperature of air after MAF (1CDA,2OE,3KN)
Regarding MASS of air CDA was sucking 15% more than stock filter and I do not remember but much more that KN
Regarding temperature CDA showed 1-2 degrees of C more than outside temperature, OE filter was second and KN worst (it is open cone,that's why).
If someone is interested in accurate info, check my posts in last 2-3 weeks

I would say, that with 1-2 degrees of C more than outside BMC CDA can pretend on CAI name.
Myself, after OE filter I put JR drop-in and never again JR.Then I put KN and can recomend to those that want realible filter.Last one and still is BMC CDA, and if I compare it with others is best and not because I spent more money on it.We have some data from Geri now. They are not measured in HP but if you suck more air than before and it is colder than before(bigger MASS) than for sure ECU will give more fuel to make mix stoich and that means some HP more. For sure not more than 3-4 on peak for NA engines.
For T-engines it will do more than for NA engines, for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts