Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I went to Jiffy Lube (no flaming) I take in my own oil and filter and have always had good service. It has been a month since my last change. Fast forward to today...

Get a call from our facilities director siad someone told them there is a big oil spill under my car. They call me and we agreed they were probably just exagerating but I told them I would go look. This is what I find:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/jay3253/IMG_1401.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/jay3253/IMG_1404.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/jay3253/IMG_1406.jpg

·
Registered
1,776 Posts

^Hope that helps ...

Anyhow ... I don't see how the screw comes loose on its own. Especially 2000 miles after the change. MAYBE if it wasn't screwed in tightly at Jiffy Lube, it could wiggle out over time ... (reminds me of the breakdown scene from A Scanner Darkly).

Perhaps a prank? A belly pan could've been a deterrent, if you had one ...

:sleep:

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
They probably overtightened and stripped out your oil pan plug (did it to me) or left the oil filter loose.

I hope you learned your lesson.

Good luck in having them do anything about it. They would rather go out of business than admit they're wrong.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey, I called them and they are going to bring me oil tighten the bolt and take it back to the shop to check and make sure everything is a-ok! Almost can't beat that!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Hey, I called them and they are going to bring me oil tighten the bolt and take it back to the shop to check and make sure everything is a-ok! Almost can't beat that!
Here's some FREE advice, before Jiffy Lube causes you to spend $480.00 for a new oil pan.

I had to get a lawyer & we found proof (can't elaborate; legal reasons) that they NEVER replaced my oil and just wiped off the oil filter for 7 visits.:poke:

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
^Dirty oil was probably the proof ...

Whatnow said:
Good for you. Now never visit them again.

:sleep:

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
They probably just forgot to tighten the drain plug. Same thing happened to me years ago when I took my car to the carwash and got an oil change. Refilled, tightened...and I was goood to go.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
i also agree with everyone

do your car a favor. Only my indy or dealership touches my car besides me. Nobody else. I usually dont even like the dealership touching my sh!t.

Jiffy lube sux PERIOD.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I will never take my car to jiffy lube. I did once and they didn't have the right oil filter, wanted to put in the wrong oil. Mechanic knew less about cars than my dog and told me I needed a bunch of crap done to my car for only $100 more dollars. I was so scared for my cars life I booked it outta there.

·
In reverse, but chained to a tree.
13,904 Posts
you can't say that ALL locations are bad. there's likely one or two that know what theyre doing. or how to help out right.
this is one. seems to me they took good care.

I will never take my car to jiffy lube. I did once and they didn't have the right oil filter, wanted to put in the wrong oil. Mechanic knew less about cars than my dog and told me I needed a bunch of crap done to my car for only $100 more dollars. I was so scared for my cars life I booked it outta there.
that's nothing. went to midas because i knew i had a bad cat, and they agreed.
they also said the other was bad and would fix it for $600 more. lol

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The guy who does my chages has a Passat too. He has been on this site a couple times but doesn't log on siad he doesn't need to just reads the posts to learn.

sipes216 - ROtH not all are bad they didn't have to help me out it was after all 2000 miles almost 3000 they could have told me it wasn't them but they didn't make me pay for any of the oil the owner and general mgr are the ones who brought me the oil.

I didn't drive it without oil it came out in the parking lot never even moved it.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
I bottomed out the oil pan on my 69 Chevelle a few days after I got it and spun the oil plug out! Thought I had cracked the pan. Maybe your plug had some help? A loose plug would have been leaking for a while.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bottomed out the oil pan on my 69 Chevelle a few days after I got it and spun the oil plug out! Thought I had cracked the pan. Maybe your plug had some help? A loose plug would have been leaking for a while.
No bottoming out a Passat it will crack the oil pan. Plus it spins the wrong direction for that. A friend of mind did the same thing to his Mustang then hit a brick in his yard and ripped a hole in it the size of his fist.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts