Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! I need to change the engine air filter for my 2003 1.8T Passat and also need to change the interior cabin filter. In changing the filters and the oil change, I am told that constitutes the 20,000 mile service that the dealer wants to charge $300.00. Any step by step directions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robby

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
The instructions will take me longer to type than to actually accomplish...
All left/right directions should be considered as if you were in the driver's seat looking forward. These instructions are how I did things on my '99. I believe that there should be only minor variations to the 2003.

The air filter is in the airbox. Look behind the right headlight. There's a black plastic duct running from just to the left of the headlamp assembly to the airbox. IIRC, there's probably a black plastic cover over the airbox. Pull this off and undo the metal clips on all 4 (I think) sides of the airbox. It may be necessary to unscrew the heat shield from the airbox (protects the airbox from turbo heat, be carefull if your engine is hot or you'll lose some skin to your turbo) to reach one of the clips. Once you have all clips undone, lift up on the airbox lid and pull the filter. Marvel at how nasty it is.

Filter installation is the opposite of removal (gotta love haynes manual-esque instructions).

The pollen filter is at the back on the engine compartment on the right-hand side (essentially strait back from the air filter). Look for it where the windshield meets the hood/engine compartment. There was a little knob-type fitting to turn to release the pollen filter cover on my '99. Lift the filter cover up and remove the old filter. Marvel at how nasty it is.

Pollen filter installation is the opposite of removal.

If any of this varies greatly from what you see under-hood, I will disavow all knowlege of trying to help you.

Hope this helps!

Edit:
Almost forgot, a little tidbit for the air filter.
Pull the air duct out and look into the orifice that it connects to on the airbox. You'll probably see a prefilter/snow screen type thingie (technical term). Marvel at how nasty it probably is (mine has a bunch of leaves and bugs in it). Take your mom's/wife's/girlfriend's/neighbors favorite vacuum cleaner and attach the crevice tool to it. Turn it on and jam the crevice tool into orifice to clean that crap out. Return the vacuum cleaner, making sure not to tell them that you used it in your car's engine bay.

·
Registered
540 Posts
peppy said:
Well, Yes, there are pics, but I didn't see any of an Air Filter..... :crazy:

BTW - The Cabin Filter on the 5.5's is hidden a little more than on the B5's - it's in the same place, but you need to remove the rubber gasket that surrounds the back portion of the engine compartment - it looks like it might be difficult to remove but it basically 'peels' away and is easy to reinstall.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
The cabin air filter change is very easy, requires no tools, and should take a less than five minutes. Experienced changers maybe a minute. The air filter requires phillips driver to unscrew a heat shield, and strait blade to flip open the clips on the air box. The first time I did it I scraped my knuckles. Advice: Be careful of the shape edges.

Beside oil change and the air filters, other listed 20k maintenance items to consider are tire rotation, headlight adjustment, and fluid levels check. Do not forget to check the battery electrolyte water level, it is not a maintenance free battery.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Make sure you put the cabin filter back in properly. I had mine changed at DALMAR motors in London Ontario, and they did not install the new one correctly. One night about 7 months later we had a downpour and my car flooded throught the vents and ruined my comfort control module.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.