Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving on I87 pushing my V6 pretty hard (80-95MPH) for I'd say 40 minutes or so. I then see an A4 with an (fairly obvious) S4 sticker on it, and decide to try to keep up with it.

So I'm having fun with this car for a couple minutes when my Oil Pressure light comes on. I don't think much of it, as it sometimes does that when I'm nearing oil change time. But then my CEL comes on, so I pull to the side of the highway....

When I stop, there's oil flowing onto the ground, but I couldn't really do a thorough check because I didn't want anyone slamming into my car and pinning me.

After some hours, and two tow trucks later, the car's stuck in the driveway and I've gotta get it towed to a shop.

My neighbor came over and we jacked the car up. I bought some quarts of oil, poured ONE in and it poured right back out. He looked and told me that it didn't look like it was coming from the oil pan, but some sort of pan above it.

Might be important:

2000 V6 w/ 109,5xx miles.
I was due for an oil change at 110,880.
Haven't had any engine work done (no engine mods).
Neighbor said it isn't the engine, it's just not holding the oil. (HOPEFULLY not the engine).
Oil was fairly Dark brown when it all leaked through the first time.
Oh, and I was told at a JiffyLube type place that I needed a Radiator Flush a couple months ago, but I figured he was just trying to get more money out of me.
Had Belly Pan taken off after last oil change because it was so torn that they couldn't get it back on.

Before I get it towed, what should I know?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
With oil pouring out its got to be a major rupture. Maybe a rock flew up and cracked your lower pan. The only pan above the lower pan is the upper oil pan that the lower pan bolts into. If you can get the car up in the air, you should be able to locate the source of the leak.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Upper oil pan... anyone have a diagram of the underside?

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just sang a song out loud called "Shit now, shit now!, x300" by DJ PRoJeK!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Check the dipstick tube they are known to crack. If you are underneath there it should be easy enough to find the leak. get a mirror and a haynes manual and poke around. Make sure to put the car on jack stands so you don't kill yourself. good luck

·
Registered
938 Posts
I hate to be so obvious but is your oil filter on?

Keep that belly pan on! I know it's a pain to take on and off during a oil change but it's there for a reason.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm back at school and 60 miles away from my car. My mom is going to have it towed to an indy shop a couple blocks up and have them check out what the problem is. I'm then going to call my neighbor and have him see if he can go over there and make sure they're not jerking me.

I wish I had the tools to go under my car, but my driveway is slanted and my street is fairly busy.

I'll keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Reminds me of the time I first changed the oil- I knew nothing. I thought I had to put the oil filter back on with the wrench. I ended up poking a couple holes in the filter and running out of oil about a quarter mile from my place. I felt like an idiot! And I think even now there would probably be an oil stain trail from my old driveway to were I pulled over when the oil light went on!

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I had the car towed to an indy mechanic who I just called.

His words were "oil pan has a hole, which caused the engine to lock up."

He says that he STARTED the engine, but he heard "all types of bearings making noises."

I'm too far from home to even argue with him. I'm going to have my neighbor go over there today/tomorrow and check.

If my V6 engine is dead, then I'll be parting with my mods, and possibly just parting the WHOLE thing out.

It's funny 'cause the other day I was talking to someone about how much I would be able to sell my B5 for, and now I'm going to get shit.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts