1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i ran the vag on my car, and got the following error:

17736 - knock control: cylinder 4: regulation limit exceeded
p1328 - 35-10 - intermittent

what does this mean? and should i be concerned?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Need some info:
1. Year & mileage
2. Engine model (i.e. 1.8T AEB)
3. Coil pack type (i.e. "H", "K" atop the coil pack, one atop each cylinder sparkplug)?

·
Registered
659 Posts
From Bentley:

P1328 17736 Knock control cylinder 4 control limit reached
- Fill fuel tank with fuel of at least 91 RON
- Check harness connectors

- Repair cause of abnormal engine noise.
(Thats why we are friging looking it up!?!?!?!)
- Loosen knock sensors and tighten to 20 Nm again

- Check knock sensors Page 28-14

Bad knock sensors usually do not make the car shake. I think that these troubleshooting steps are leading toward a red herring. I would:

1. Remove cylinder 4 coil pack and spark plug, clean and inspect spark plug. I have an AEB so my coil packs have screws holding them down. If yours does not, the coil pack may have backed off.
2. Reinstall and start engine. Problem solved?
3. Swap coil pack with another cylinder (keep track). Problem change cylinders? If so, coil pack is bad.

Free and easy quick check. Let me know, I have to step away…

·
Registered
28,962 Posts
You don't have a powergasket (intake) do you? It still sounds like a vacuum leak is causing the problem. It will lean out the mixture and cause knocking.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ooinn99 said:
From Bentley:

P1328 17736 Knock control cylinder 4 control limit reached
- Fill fuel tank with fuel of at least 91 RON
- Check harness connectors

- Repair cause of abnormal engine noise.
(Thats why we are friging looking it up!?!?!?!)
- Loosen knock sensors and tighten to 20 Nm again

- Check knock sensors Page 28-14

Bad knock sensors usually do not make the car shake. I think that these troubleshooting steps are leading toward a red herring. I would:

1. Remove cylinder 4 coil pack and spark plug, clean and inspect spark plug. I have an AEB so my coil packs have screws holding them down. If yours does not, the coil pack may have backed off.
2. Reinstall and start engine. Problem solved?
3. Swap coil pack with another cylinder (keep track). Problem change cylinders? If so, coil pack is bad.

Free and easy quick check. Let me know, I have to step away…
thanks! i'll check it out. i changed the plugs a few thousand miles ago, but i'll take a look anyway. actually, i might just clear the code, to see if it goes away. i had a dtc on the lamda o2 sensor, which i cleared a month ago, and it hasn't come back yet.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PZ said:
You don't have a powergasket (intake) do you? It still sounds like a vacuum leak is causing the problem. It will lean out the mixture and cause knocking.
no, i don't have a powergasket yet. i was considering installing it, but haven't done so right now. i'll check for the vacuum leak. any reason why it only happened in one cylinder?

·
Registered
28,962 Posts
D.Passat00 said:
no, i don't have a powergasket yet. i was considering installing it, but haven't done so right now. i'll check for the vacuum leak. any reason why it only happened in one cylinder?
I could see if it was cylinder 1,since there is a vac hose on the manifold there. Don't know why it would be #4,unless there is a vac boss on that as well.

Is the cam chain rattling? Maybe the knock sensor is reading that?

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Vac hose bung for the FPR hose is on the manifold near cylinder 4. Also several other bungs for the brake booster, evap, etc. Keep checking hoses... it can't hurt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.