Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
driving no noise no. chk engine light no anything just died........vagcom says camshaft position sensor .........what and where is that and can it be fixed by a mortal man and would that make the car just die???? help what a great b-day weekend :cry: ...first my friends t78 supra gets cut off and we slam on the brakes and it dies and we wasted the entire friday trying to get a tow company to get it on the truck(its real low)...then sat my b5 craps out then sun spend the whole day getting my car back because my roadside said i was to far and they refused to come get me off of the interstate.....who knew they could refuse to come? happy bday me :cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
How many miles do you have and what engine? My wife's B3 Passat did the same thing when her TB went.

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey

i have a 98 b5 aeb 5 spd 110009 mi by timing belt do you mean it is off the car or lost some teeth or what? i think it is still intact ...to dark to tell now ...i will chk in the morning

·
Registered
454 Posts
Your camshaft position sensor is at the very front of your engine if you have a 1.8T Not sure how much the part is but it would only take 15 minutes to replace. It is right behind the timing belt cover at the top of the engine with a couple of wires coming out of it. But like they said before, it could also mean that your belt has broken. :(

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
does this sound right

does this sound right???????- locate your Cam Position Sensor and unplug the harness from it. The harness has 3 terminals. With a volt meter, check for at least 4.5V across terminals #1 and #3. Ignition should be on, engine not running. If you get min of 4.5V, then replace the CPS. If you don't get a voltage reading, then start checking all of your fuses. Then you will need to get a wiring diagram for your car and check the 3 wires for the CPS up to the ECM (not fun). If you have a open ciruit in one of the wires, run an overlay. If all wires check out good, time for a ECM. how can a harness with voltage tell me if a sensor is bad? with nothing plugged into it?

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
timing belt

i was the tiing belt missing about 7 inches of teeth...how bad do you think it is? are our engines the kind where if that belt breaks the engine breaks also?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
i think your fucked man these engines tend to bend valves
:(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
2.0GTI
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing