1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on a recent scan, I came back w/ this code:

17887 - Brake Boost Vacuum System: Mechanical Failure
P1479 - 008 - Implausible Signal
I had it at the stealership to look at my fading instrument cluster for possible replacement and asked them to look at this fault code. Of course they tell me that I need a new Brake Pump. No problem I think. This should be covered by my aftermarket warranty. Think again.

Here's where it gets murky: The specific wording in my aftermarket warranty states that coverage on the brake system includes "Master Cylinder, Power Brake Cylinder, Vacuum/Hydro Assist Booster..." VW calls it a "brake pump" according to the dealer service writer and so the warranty company is denying the claim since there is no mention of "brake pump" in the coverage.

My question is this: Is the "brake pump" the same as the vacuum assist booster as indicated in the fault code? Anyone w/ the Bently care to confirm the code wording from VAG Com against the factory code designation?

Hey Sharky - Since you're the resident tech - what's the official VW book designation for this and is it the same?

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Supposedly beginning with MY 2001, there is a brake system vacuum pump V192 on cars with automatic and gas engine. My 2000 does not have it. The only other major components are the master cylinder, brake fluid reservoir, and the brake booster. So if it is that pump, then you are probably SOL on the warranty.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My service writer can't even tell me what it does. "You'll have to talk to the tech when you come in tomorrow" was his answer.

If nothing else, the warranty company is paying for my new instrument cluster replacement.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
They are probably referring to the suction jet pump. Sounds like they are weaseling out based on semantics. Doesn't the warranty cover everything but maintenance items anyway?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts