Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to be coming from somewhere in front of the drivers seat probably near or just after the firewall (sounds like about 1.5 ft radius from the steering wheel). The noise is quite consistant. When I first start the car, I don't hear it but after a bit, I hear it and it lasts throughout the entire drive. It doesn't get louder or softer depending on how much gas I'm giving it. It doesn't stop when I let off the gas either.

Any idea what it is?

It's not loud enough to be irritating to the ears but could be irritating to the pocketbook!

[crosses fingers]Hope it's nothing![/crosses fingers]

TIA!

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
Hey, i am not sure what it could be really. The only noise like that i had in that area was my dashboard. For some reason, about 3 month after i got my :b5: , i had noises in that area but i knew immediatly that it was the dash, like a rubbing against the side mounts. 1 day, i open all the doors of the car and looked around. I tried to shift the dash a bit and check the bolts. nothing. The noise went away after a few weeks. Came to find out from the dealership that it just needed to settle a bit......so i hope it would bethe same thing for you, not sure so...good luck with that......later....Rah.... :b5: :thumbup: .

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I wonder if it could be a heat build up problem. You know how when you turn off a car and get out you can hear a ticking noise? Not sure if that's the expanding and shrinking of metal or what. maybe your firewall or heat shied? Just a guess of course.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I hear the same when I turn up my heat......I think it's just plastic expanding and what not.....just turn up your music and you'll forget all about it :lol:

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I doubt it's a heat/expansion related noise because it's too mechanical and too consistant. I'll try to isolate the location of the noise and come back with more info when I pop the hood.

baisee, I only noticed it yesterday when I actually lowered the music probably for the 1st time since getting the Passat.

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
It's your tachometer. If it happens at speed only could be your speedo or odometer, but my guess is tac... Little gears drive all those things and a loose one could give you a noise like that. That or a short or a bad relay. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
The ticking noise is most likely a vacum valve. I don't remember what it does, but is has to do something with a air flow. The location of the valve (that did the ticking for me on a 1998 B5 1.8T ) is on the left hand as you open the hood. To locate it you have to remove the plastic cover ( about 1 x 1 ft) on the left hand side.

·
Registered
11,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is a 2001.5 V6 FWD if that helps any.

latawce, do you know if the vaccum valve is in the same place? Did you replace it and did it solve your ticking sound?

·
Registered
135 Posts
S_Klass:
I hope it's not the case, but the noise you describe sounds exactly like what I just experienced,
and it ended up being the cam chain tensioner on my 1.8, not sure if this happens on the six banger,
but it costs a boatload to repace at the dealer, $400.00 for the tensioner aloneand $500.00 for labor.
Good luck,

Curtis

·
Registered
3 Posts
The noise you have descibed is a valve that is part of the Aircon. Remove the plastic cover on the left hand side of the engine. Under it is a valve with two pipes coming out of it. You should be able to feel it pulse in time with the clicks. Let me know if this helps.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
9 Participants
scottl
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing