Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a serious accident about 2 weeks ago and I was just released from the hospital. My 2002 passat is no more and now I have pins holding my hip together.:cry: Basically, Another driver pulled out in front of me and now I get to go thorugh the long process of rehabilitation.:thumbdown
Right now I am trying to move on with life and get back into the swing of things. I know I wont be able to drive for a while but I figured I would ask about cars now so when the time is right, I have some selections and info.
I think I want to stick with European considering my Passat did save my life and it was a great car. (damn, I gonna miss it) As for price, I want to stay under 60-65. I already own an 06' ML500 which was highly rated and no problems so far and also a 06' BMW 330XI which is a P.O.S (dealership has had it for 3 weeks now and cant figure it out):crazy:

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anything under that is fine. The ol Passat was cheaper but still a great car. I was thinking of getting another actually.:thumbup: :beer:
TAckhouse1 said:
notice he is looking in the $60,000 to $65,000 range

·
Registered
752 Posts
I think the Legacy was rated very high for its crash safety.

That is a large budget, I have never looked at cars that expensive so I guess I am of little help. Sorry.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I hope your rehab goes well and you're back on your feet quickly. I just went through the same thing except I was rear ended and my son and I walked away from it but my Passat was totaled. Linkage to my thread.

My budget is less than that but with Subaru getting best in class with the Legacy/Outback platform, I'm hard pressed to find a reason not to got that route. However, for 60k-65k I would think you could get a V8 Phaeton that never moved off the lot from last year. Just a thought.

Good luck and Godspeed.

·
Registered
635 Posts
TAckhouse1 said:
notice he is looking in the $60,000 to $65,000 range
He said under 60-65, and he's got the benz already didn't think he'd want another bling car, wanting safe/reliable I think the new jetta would be good. However he could also get himself a pretty awesome Lexus IS series or lower end GS with that kind of budget.

·
Punches Dubs. True Story
9,983 Posts
Top safety picks by IIHS (2006 model years only) ...

IIHS said:
Gold - Mercury Montego
I know, I know. Not the coolest thing out there. However, $30k gets you AWD and solid crash-test results. However ...it's a Ford product and will probably drive like it.

IIHS said:
Silver - Audi A6, Silver - Audi A4, Silver - Audi A3
Well ...at least the Four Rings are consistent, if nothing else. You can run from a base A3 at $25k up to a trick A6 at about $55k. You can get a 2.0T, a 3.1L or a 4.2L. In 2006, they'll have the 25th anniversary Special Edition S4 (four door, eight cylinders and 340 ponies) that'll set you back $60k. There's an RS6, as well, but I think that'll completely bust your self-imposed ceiling.

IIHS said:
Gold - Saab 9-3, Gold - Subie Legacy
Deck out the Saab with a 2.8L V6, a stick shift and a drop top for about $42k. Or hit the road in a Legacy 2.5 GT wagon for all of $31k.

IIHS said:
Silver - Volkswagen Passat
Right back where you started. There's a 2007 3.6L (V6) wagon on the lot at my local dealer. Be the first kid on your block to pick one up for only $33k.

According to the IIHS, more dollars doesn't equal more safety. Why spend more than you have to? If safety is really an important factor, check out these cars. Otherwise, go do a quick Edmunds search in the $45k - $55k range and pick between the Acura RL (rate MARGINAL in rear crash protection), BMW 5 (rated POOR in rear crash protection), CTS-V (POOR), H2, Lexus GS (rated Marginal in rear crash protection) or Volvo XC90 of your choice.

·
The "Odd" one
6,068 Posts
^^^ For a minute there I was trying to think why the color of the car matters...but then, well nevermind

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not a big fan of Ford. As for the Audi's, they are an item that was of interest but I am still trying to figure out the reason for the price difference between that and a VW. The Subaru is a nice car but has poor gas mileage. The Saab apparently has a lot of electrical problems. It's like everything is pointing me back to another Passat but for some reason, I feel I should explore a different manafactuer.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
I'd check out the 9-3 SportCombi and probably go to Sweden to pick it up.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
peppy said:
Not a big fan of Ford. As for the Audi's, they are an item that was of interest but I am still trying to figure out the reason for the price difference between that and a VW. The Subaru is a nice car but has poor gas mileage. The Saab apparently has a lot of electrical problems. It's like everything is pointing me back to another Passat but for some reason, I feel I should explore a different manafactuer.
You're looking to drop 60 large on a car and you're worried about gas mileage? That just kind of struck me funny. I was thinking if you spent 30k on a Subie, the other 30k you'd save would buy a shitload of gasoline! ;)

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
2007 VW Passat - good safety ratings, great interior comfort, reliability could be an issue. Of course reliability is going to be an issue with almost any of the European cars - they all have seem to have gremlins/quirks.

The Volvo S60 would be on my list as well - well not mine because its too expensive for me - but one you should consider. The S60R is a sexy car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
...and mods. :lol:

Sullie said:
You're looking to drop 60 large on a car and you're worried about gas mileage? That just kind of struck me funny. I was thinking if you spent 30k on a Subie, the other 30k you'd save would buy a shitload of gasoline! ;)

·
Registered
970 Posts
Sullie said:

I was just thinking that. :)

Hope you do well in recovery and therapy and best of luck with your choice. Oh yea, go with the Subaru, just can't be beat right now. Although I heard the Chevy Aveo has a tremendous rebate on it. :D

Seriously, get better. :beer:

1 - 20 of 64 Posts