Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This forum is great. I am new to the forum though passat had been my dream car. I need some help in deciding about a 2002 1.8T passat for 11k with 62000 miles on it. I like this car. i had gone for a test drive and checked the car fax. The brakes and the suspension seem to be fine. But only thing that is bothering me is the engine sound. It sounds like a diesel engine and has some kind of a whistling/rattling sound when i accelerate. I dont hear it when the car is at halt but when its aroung 10-30 kmph i hear it and after i reach 50-60 i dont hear it anymore. Though the owner says he has been hearing this sound since he bought it and its a characteristic of a Turbo engine, but i seriously doubt what he says. I seriously doubt the time belt or tensioner needs to be replaced. I need some advice the experts here. Do you think its worth paying a 11k for this car.? If i have to replace some major things how much would it cost me ?.
Any write ups(links) about inspecting the passat before buying would be of great help. I am willing to spend some money buying stuff for inspecting it myself. Please suggest some ideas. Last thing would be to take it to the mechanic/dealer. :)
Thanks a ton in advance.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
well that sounds like a very nice price..

the whistling noise your hearing could just be the turbo(though i dont think its suposto make much noise when the car is stock. probley has a boost leak)

the rattling isnt normal

you seriously need to reconsider having the timing belt/tensioner replaced. vw says change it every 105k.. but everyone here will tell you to change it between 60-80k. the majority seems to be lowering that interval to every 60k every time this question comes up.

get the car inspected by someone who knows vw's.

·
needs more cowbell
5,945 Posts
diesel rattle is usually Cam Chain Tensioner. not exactly an easy or cheap fix.

basically, the tensioner is aged and the cam chain is slapping against the valve cover.

modifiedA4 just did a writeup on this topic. look for it on the first couple pages of the general discussion or search for his name.

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
The 1.8t has an extended transferable warranty ("the sludge warranty") covering damage to the engine due to "sludge". However, VW can (and usually does) deny warranty coverage if the owner does not have maintenance records showing that oil / filter maintenance was timely and using VW spec 502.00 oil. I would not buy the car if the current owner does not have these records or the owner's manual with the maintenance stamps showing the service. Do a search on "sludge", "sludge warranty" and read.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@vipernoved
Thanks for the information. I am planning to get it checked by VW guy.

@aliencds
No mods i guess. It was owned by lady. ;)

@marshalus
Could be but i dont have a clue ...:-(

@kenblasko & @ blackmagic
Thanks a lot for your references.

What would be the cost of replacing a timing belt + cam tensioner
Cat converter or fuel and water pump ....
An estimate would be fine... i am okay to spend another 2k on the car ... any chances that i would end up spending like 5 k in an year or so ....
then it would not be worth buying it ...:) any thoughts ..?

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
The cam chain tensioner will run about $400 plus labor. I would guess $200 labor, but that really depends on where you are.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts