Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Help me decide - B7 or not?

Tags
decide help not
3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  bedoum 
#1 ·
(Part of a x-post from the noob discussion)

Hi all..

I was b55er over on clubb5.com years ago. Today I'm thinking about moving over to a B7.

My current rides are:
2009 Mazda 5 (80k)
1998 Porsche 986 (28k)

Some past rides
1980 Audi 5000s Diesel
1987 Audi 5000s
1990 Audi Coupe Quattro
1990 Audi 90
1971 Porsche 914
1998 VW Passat B5 (1.8T 5-speed)
1987 Porsche 924S
2003 VW Passat B5.5 Wagon (1.8T 5-speed)

I use the Mazda5 as my daily driver. Car seats 6, holds cargo, has been reliable. Under warranty until 100k. The car does handle well for a mico-minivan. When the B7 Passat was released, I did consider upgrading my Mazda5 for a Passat S (MT). Now a year later, and with 80k on my Mazda5, I'm considering a 1 year old B7.

I do know that there are few differences between the 2012 and 2013 models. I also understand that the 2014 models will have a new generation engine.

The featureset of the B7 S with Appearance seems to meets my requirements.

- I dislike the pleather seats in the Passat. To me, they are on the same cheapeness scale as the cloth.
- I don't need bells and whistles. It's my understanding that the VW Nav is pretty bad and I have no interest in paying for Nav when I have a top Garmin + iPhone 5. No need for sunroof..
- I don't needs speed / performance in a DD. I have my Porsche for fun and sun.
- I do need to fit 5 comfortably and cargo from time to time.
- I do need good hwy gas milage - not willing to pay the difference for a diesel.

What am I looking for?
Cheap cheap cheap..
2012 used automatic B7 with 10-20k miles on it. $15-16k
No problems

Alternatively, should I just keep the Mazda5 since its under warranty to 100k?

==
Update: I rented a 2013 Passat SE in LA from Hertz. Car seemed okay. Braking in my opinion was poor. The calipers seemed to drag a bit with a time delay between the time I would lift my foot off the brake and when the calipers released. (i.e.: slow the car down, then let off the brake). At first I thought that it was this specific car. Yesterday, I test drove a 2013 new car from the dealer. I had the same experience, which may be a deal breaker for this car. I also observed that the brakes offer poor modulation (ie control); either they are on or off..

See less See more
#2 ·
Your report on the braking performance is very disappointing, because the B5 generation brakes are pretty decent.

If I were in your situation, I would just keep what I had. Since I like wagons and VWoA has decided not to give us a B7 Passat wagon, my next car will probably be the upcoming new generation "Jetta" (Golf) Sportwagen, which may be a 2015 model by the time it hits the US.

#3 ·
I had one B5 sedan and a B5.5 variant (wagon), both had excellent brakes. I'm still shocked how poorly the B7 brakes feel. In reviewing stopping distances of competitors, B7 travels far. B7 isn't that heavy (3177 lbs), my Mazda5 weighs more (3475), and had much better pedal feel and modulation. Maybe because it is americanized, but believe that the brakes feel more like a Taurus rather than a VW/Audi product.

I'm not sure if either I can get used to it. There aren't many other cars that I'm considering at this time. I haven't driven a Jetta, nor taken a look at the new Mazda6.

-B55er

#6 ·
In the original post, I specified that I was looking for something cheap. I can buy a new 2013 B7 S model for about $20,300. Not looking to go much higher than that. The car is going to be used as a commuter and everyday car while my garage queen sits on her throne.

CC - $30,000+ (I'd rather start looking at a stripped A4 or BMW 1)
Passat AllTrack - also likely to be out of range as the Quattro/4-Motion/AllTrack versions are typically several thousand more.

Other options:
1). Do nothing and drive my Mazda5 past 100k miles
2). Wait to see what 2014 brings to the Passat and Audi A3.
3). Take a look at Jetta and Mazda6, and even gasp.. Accord or that new cheapo Mercedes due soon.

#7 ·
How often do you brake for it to be a deal breaker? ;)

On a serious note, I think the car will fit what you are looking for.
It is very spacious (rear seat passenger dream with all that legroom)
and easily manages 26-29mpg in mixed driving. I have not seen anything
below 26mpg the first 3k miles.

In my experience, I was initially impressed with the brakes during the test drive...
only to find after I bought the car that they felt 'weird' in the sense that
I found it difficult to apply the right pressure to get the expected braking result.

I have had the car for a couple of months now and I seem to have found
the right balance. Not sure if this is because of the initial wear or what,
but there was definitely a time to adapt to those brakes before getting fully comfortable.

Hope this helps and good luck, whichever decision you end up making. :driving:

#8 ·
I drove another new Passat S with Appearance on my way home from work at another dealer. Car had 27 miles on it and felt a little better than the two others I drove, but still lacked the tactile feedback and modulation that I was expecting from my other driving experiences with VAG products.

They seemed anxious to make a deal on the car. Satin Silver with black interior, monster mats, and first aid kit. MSRP was $24k, offered the car to me at $20,290 cash.

Decisions.. decisions..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.