Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Passat 1.4 turbo, automatic

Car starts smooth, runs and accelerates fine. After driving a few minutes, loud BAM, BAM on deceleration (about 10 mph), from the front--feels like I hit a curb or a wall (does not feel like brakes-feels like physical Bang, like went into park), but nothing---happened 4 times. Car runs fine in between. Now leaking motor, entire bottom of engine is seeping, or wet, dripping, nothing visible on top.

No noises when idling, or in gear while stationary. Revs normally in neutral.

Ideas?? Tranny?

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,601 Posts
You have busted the oil pan. The BANG sound usually comes when the pan hits something hard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NO! Oil pan is fine, nothing run over, happened several times on different smooth roads within 2 miles traveled. Loud Bam Bam, feels like the wheels locked or engine went into reverse, did not stall.

Thanks, but
Next guess?.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,165 Posts
Could be transmission, but can you post pics?

Also, 1.4 turbo? They never had a 1.4t anywhere in the world for this model.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This doesnt sound like an engine problem it sounds transmission related. What color is the fluid that is seeping? The TCM comes to mind when I hear your problems. Also is yours a 4Motion? Have you done a vagcom scan?

·
Registered
334 Posts
A loud bang followed by low power, gears screen lit up; unfortunately is the transmission. It will reset for a while when you turn the car off an on again but after a certain number of cycles it will not reset no more and will lock into a safe mode to protect itself from more damage.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I agree, the trans may have selected two ratios at once for some reason, which will jam the whole thing. Or the torque converter broke, which happened on our '99 and stalled the engine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts