Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello;

I just had my car (Passat GLX 2001) windows tinted, however, they did not remove the back dash where the brake light sits, so now I have tint all around it and it looks horrible. They said that if I can remove the back dash (is that what it is called) so they can have access to that part of the window they would retint for free.

Help! How do I remove the back dash section, or light section to gain access to that part of the window.

Thanks,
Stefanie

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had the same problem with my B5.5. Its indigo blue with tan interior. I hated it at first, but I guess I just got used to it. It doesnt bother me anymore.

I wish I could help you out here, but I have no idea how to take the back dash off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This requires patience.

On my '03, the rear 'dash' trim is held on by three bolts concealed under the baby seat hooks in the middle of the 'dash' plus three hidden clips underneath in the front, which is the area just behind the rear seats.

Proceed with care however, as I managed to break all three of my hidden clips getting it off to remove the tint. It appears the clips disengage by moving the trim peice toward the passenger side, although I lost my shot at doing it correctly.

Once the clips are loose, pull the trim piece toward you (front) and then lift up, but not before unclipping the wire connector to the high mount stop lamp. You may need to remove some side trim pieces. If you break the clips, just throw it back in without them. My broken sunscreen rattles anyway, so I can't tell any difference.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This requires patience.

On my '03, the rear 'dash' trim is held on by three bolts concealed under the baby seat hooks in the middle of the 'dash' plus three hidden clips underneath in the front, which is the area just behind the rear seats.

Proceed with care however, as I managed to break all three of my hidden clips getting it off to remove the tint. It appears the clips disengage by moving the trim peice toward the passenger side, although I lost my shot at doing it correctly.

Once the clips are loose, pull the trim piece toward you (front) and then lift up, but not before unclipping the wire connector to the high mount stop lamp. You may need to remove some side trim pieces. If you break the clips, just throw it back in without them. My broken sunscreen rattles anyway, so I can't tell any difference.

Good Luck!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! It worked like a charm, took some time and patience, but got it out in one piece and with only one clip broken off.

Stefanie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts