Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone please help! At the last step of the rear sway install and I can't get the shock bolts off. Fairly new 04 with stock shocks. The inside bolt isn't going anywhere and the outside is unaccessable. Tried tons of anti-seize and raising wheel a little to remove stress from shock.

WHAT DO I DO??? Please help. My babys sitting up on jacks!!!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
When I did the springs/shocks on my 99 every bolt in the front was rusted and whatnot, i even had to drill the damn bold that connects the top 2 control arms to the swingarm, but my rears were easy. what you need is to use a standard wrench to hold the nut (faces out of the car) and then a socket to get the bolt out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Espaz11 said:
When I did the springs/shocks on my 99 every bolt in the front was rusted and whatnot, i even had to drill the damn bold that connects the top 2 control arms to the swingarm, but my rears were easy. what you need is to use a standard wrench to hold the nut (faces out of the car) and then a socket to get the bolt out.
Tried the wrench setup you are talking about. It seems like they should come but I haven't seen a budge.

·
Registered
917 Posts
heckler08 said:
Tried the wrench setup you are talking about. It seems like they should come but I haven't seen a budge.
Those bolts are torqued down quite tight.

You most likely only need a longer lever. Try a breaker bar. Or if you are only using a 3/8" drive ratchet, try a 1/2" drive. Or even get a piece of pipe and slip it over your ratchet.

By the way - when you re-assemble the new bolts you want them torqued good and strong. The Bentley specs 50 Nm (~38 ft-lbs) and then tighten them another 90 degrees. I think the idea is to preload the bolt really well so force is transmitted directly from the wheelbearing housing into the shock, to prevent loosening or bolt breakage.

The

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.