Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried the "Search" function and wasted a lot of time reading unrelated topics.

Replacing Spark Plugs, Cabin and Air Filters on my 1.8T was a piece of cake and I can find all sorts of posts related to the maintenance of that engine.

But now I have a V6 - and either I'm getting dumber (a distinct possibility!) or it's tougher to figure out where these parts are. I have the hood up, engine covers off, and I'm wearing a bald spot on my head where I keep scratching it. I pulled out 'some black things' thinking I was taking the spark plug wires off.... :crazy:

Can anyone direct me on where to find some posts that relate to replacing these parts on the V6 engine??

Also, I was thinking of replacing the Fuel Filter, but I can't find any recommended schedule in the VW manual. It looks like the TDI engine requires frequent replacement, but saw no mention of replacing the fuel filter on either the 1.8T or the V6...???

Thanks for helping the 'disabled'!

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
I would suggest you go down to autozone and pick up a copy of the Haynes manual for a Passat.
It's a good place to start.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:oops: Ok...the 'black things' were the spark plug connectors - I guess I didn't look far enough into the 'hole' - damn, those plugs are a long way down!

I was hoping to be directed to something on here that was already written up on the maintenance for a V6. Now I only need help with the Cabin Filter - I think I know where the Air Filter is hidden - that part looks similar to the 1.8T.

And Yes, I'm cheap, I mean, "Thrifty!" ......I didn't want to buy a manual that I know I'll never use for anything else....

·
Registered
387 Posts
cabin filter is infront of the pasenger next to the battery. you need to peel the gasket back from the rear firewall, enought to pull the plastic cover up.

you will see it in there.

The regular air filter is behind the passwnger headlight. Pull the funky triangle pastic cover off. look Down see big box. Open big box. see filter. replace :). Yeah to make life easier you will need to pull some stuff off. watch the clips they should stay in place but if you push them down they will fall down and can be a pita to get back inplace.

The above should be right but you never know. :roll:

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah-Ha! Thanks dgabler! :thumbup:
The cabin filter is in the same spot as in the 1.8T, but buried a little deeper and certainly less conspicuous. The air filter set-up looks pretty much the same.....I remember that being kind of a pita to access too. Thanks for the heads-up on the clips. I owe you 1...or 2! It's time for the 40K check up and I'm trying to do as much of that as I can - the dealership wants about $450 for the service.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.