Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is in the passenger wheel well looking forward.

A) What is it
B) Is it safe to drive? Haven't felt and suspension problems
C) Is it worth fixing myself? Or do I throw the car away?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Well, that is your right side engine mount bracket. 8E0 199 352 D Runs anywhere from $30 used or less to about $70-$80 new.

Is it safe to drive? I wouldn't drive the car. The real question is what else did you damage and how did you brake the bracket?

Very worthwhile to fix.

You will also need some new bolts that are not cheap and MUST be new!! Easy DIY job.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well I'm guessing now that it was wrecked. Vws inspection didn't turn it up either. I found it replacing brake lines.

She's my daily, so unfortunately not driving on it isn't really an option unless the nose will fall off or the suspension will fall out.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Normally when removing that bracket, you need a new rear bolt ($1.75 at the dealer when I got a pair), but the front bolts usually only need LocTite. However in your case, I'd go with new.

I would not drive the car until replaced.

I would also consider replacing the mount; any impact enough to break that bracket probably damaged the mount too. Corteco is reported to be the OEM for the part if you want to save a little bit.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
is it missing something in between the 2 horizontial holes about 2 inches apart ? some kind of bushing ?
No, there is nothing missing. There are 3 holes there and they are Subframe Alignment Holes. Because the motor mount bracket is broken the subframe has dropped so it appears like there are only 2 holes. Look closely. Anyway when you install the replacement bracket you will need to align the 3 holes. There is a special tool for this as seen in the picture below, but IIRC a 14mm deep well socket will do the job.

More info on that in this link.
Motor mount replacement - B5 VW Passat TDI | VW TDI forum, Audi, Porsche, and Chevy Cruze diesel forum

1 - 9 of 9 Posts