Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need any info or well-informed input on my conundrum. Just used a non 502.00 spec oil in my 2008 Passat FSI 2.0. Have I done any permanent damage? Should I not be worried? It’s fully synthetic, just non 502, I’m pretty sure. Done 2000 miles with it and just realized it—new to VW. Thanks for any input and especially if you know what you’re talking about. Appreciate you guys.
Justin

·
Registered
89 Posts
If this was just a one time thing, don't worry about. Change it a little early if you're still worried about it. In any case I think your car will be fine.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
The FSI's use a little oil do to their nature ,no big deal,however use a good filter,I like purolator and a 5W40 quality oil, I recommend Castrol as I have had good luck with it in my 08 and my 01 B5.5 AWM ,easy to change with no mess or fuss, PM me if any questions, I mention the oil usage which is sometime an issue, but it is related to PCV and valve cover, also FSI sensitive to fuel pump (direct cylinder high pressure fuel injection) pump cam failure, (easy,very easy to service also)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hey guys, I need any info or well-informed input on my conundrum. Just used a non 502.00 spec oil in my 2008 Passat FSI 2.0. Have I done any permanent damage? Should I not be worried? It’s fully synthetic, just non 502, I’m pretty sure. Done 2000 miles with it and just realized it—new to VW. Thanks for any input and especially if you know what you’re talking about. Appreciate you guys.
Tell me what kind of oil it was. Are you sure it was, in fact, a fully synthetic? If it says ANYTHING but "fully synthetic" on the bottle it is only a semi-synthetic (synthetic/conventional oil blend). Popular word games that companies play to make you think it is a fully synthetic when it is NOT are things like "synthetic technology" or "synthese" or shit like that. Again, ONLY if it says "fully synthetic" word for word will it actually be a fully synthetic oil. If it was indeed a fully synthetic and you only ran it 2K miles you should be fine. If you want to be educated on oil then read the thread in this link... I'm going to be lazy and just drop you the link to a thread I was commenting on about oil recently instead of repeating myself. Good info here: VWVortex.com - 2017 vw gli oil reccomandation

I also recommend you read my post, post #16, on the following thread for general info, warnings, and cautions about owning an FSI motor: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/volkswagen-passat-b6-discussion/537897-2009-vw-passat-2-0t-sedan-reliability.html

The FSI's use a little oil do to their nature ,no big deal,however use a good filter,I like purolator and a 5W40 quality oil, I recommend Castrol

NOOOOOOOOOO. Never, EVER use ANYTHING but an OEM Mann oil filter in your FSI or TSI. These are not like the can filters on the previous generations. If you use any aftermarket brand oil filter for your FSI/TSI you WILL have serious oil pressure problems that will eventually result in possible catastrophic engine failure. You might think I'm playing this up a lot... I'm not at all. This issue is extremely well documented and I know many people who have made this mistake. Again, ALWAYS use ONLY an OEM Mann oil filter with your FSI/TSI. The aftermarket filters are not the right size or ply. Please heed this warning if you car at all about the longevity of your motor.

Also, the factory recommended full synthetic 5w40 Castrol is fine but there are better oils available for basically the same price. I recommend reading the thread I linked above on my personal recommendation based on my testing and lab analysis results for multiple oil change intervals each on several of the leading fully synthetic oils with 502 spec approval.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
thanks for tip on filter, I use a Mann on my 5.5 AWM ,sold under Purolator #40316, so am definately going to get a Mann, thanks for heads up ! What oil do you recommend, doing change this weekend.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Best oil for FSI or TSI: go with Liquimoly Leichtlauf 5W-40 and never look back. I’ve used them all and had UOAs and VOAs for all from labs, that’s the one I decided to stick with for good now, that’s the one you want. Link below. Not all the different series of Liquimoly oil are created equal and they have a whole lot of then so it gets confusing. Make sure it is specifically that one that you get. There are others that aren’t as good. Some that aren’t even fully synthetic and they try to trick you with wording like “synthetic technology” which is code for “semi-synthetic”. Go with specifically the one in the link. Also second link is to the filter you want.

https://www.amazon.com/Liqui-Moly-2332-Leichtlauf-Engine/dp/B00LIC29H6

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001DRHMPK/ref=pd_aw_fbt_263_img_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5WZGXST6NXP2AHK0Z7H2

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
hey thanks,will get oil from Amazon and start using next go round ,also picked up a Mann filter last night, and geeeez sure looked like my Purolator currently using in my B6 ,and found out that Mann owns and manufactures and labels the Purolator brand,still gonna use the Mann though, that would explain the Mann filter in the Purolator box I use on my B5.5 AWM, also as a side note, I put a new coil pack in my car about 4 weeks ago now two more in last 2 weeks about a week apart, does that not seem odd almost one every week? total of 3 ,have last one ordered from ECS, no oil in wells either...odd.

·
Registered
113 Posts
They very well may be exactly the same but I’d never risk it considering the OEM Mann is still cheap as dirt.

As for your coil packs, that is odd. But it’s honestly not entirely unheard of. Also, you really shouldn’t replace them 1 at a time, you should replace them all at once. Make sure you replace all at once with newest revision part and keep tabs on it. Lmk if anything else occurs and we’ll go from there.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I replaced all on my B5.5 when I discovered oil saturation in a couple of the "wells" when I did my vc on my B5.5 AWM, Had an extra backup I got from ECS for my B6 (insurance ,experience from AWM) replaced and bought another .......and another and now another,ha, but never suspected they would all go as my wells when I did leaky vc and pcv service on my B6 were clean as a whistle, yeah Mann is cheap insurance also, I use the "big kahuna" as previously mentioned on the AWM and although way big almost twice the size of an OEM spec. filter still only like 11 bucks....been warm here for a while and being an older car imagine heat finally pushing them over the edge. Ended up going to Summit racing for triple squares, got a real nice set (9pc.)for like 25 bucks.....every size possible especially the big ones needed on rear brakes, thanks again for help and advice

1 - 9 of 9 Posts