Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okey, here is the story. My 99 B5 1.8T has 78k miles on it. I figured its timing belt is at its last leg, so I brought it to the McKenna VW to get it replaced and get 80k service done. I was quoted $940, which is reasonable, considered that I called around prior to bring my car there.

Now I got a call from my servie adviser, who advised that mechanical inspection revealed that following needs to be done as well:
1. brake fluid flush;
2. vaccum line replacement;
3. fuel system flush;
4. engine oil system flush (to get rid of those slugs);
5. and AC system flush
including the 80k and timing belt (+ tensioner), it will be about $1600. I know I had my brake fluids replaced at 35k. I know the vaccum lines are pron to fail. But I am unsure if the rest of the items are reasonable, as well as the price quoted.

I need to call him back tomorrow. So any input in this matter will be greatly appreciated. :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
261 Posts
In the order of questions:
1. brake fluid should be changed every 2 years
2. OEM braided vacuum lines are prone to dry rot
3. clean the throttle body and add a can of fuel injector cleaner, not the cheap stuff
4. definately if using regular oil, maybe if using synthetic oil
5. if AC system pressure is ok, then no. your AC system is sealed like your refrigerator at home

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
You can do that list yourself with exclusion to the AC system. Even then, I would trust a indy shop for this.

Brake Fluid - Searchthis forum or online. I rememer a B5er making a write up.

Vac Line - http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51688
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55015
Buy your hose at HoseTechniques.com

Fuel System Flush - Not exactly sure how they do it but like recommened do a TB cleaning
http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/throttlebody/
and add in some superior Fuel Injector cleaner. And really, just dont run cheap gas. Change your fuel filter.
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=69656

Engine Flush
- Be very careful with heavy duty cleaners. You dont want huge chunks of sludge clogging your oil pump. Instead, routine oil changes and run Auto RX. Conviently enough, there was a GB started. There are a few VERY satisfied CB5ers.
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=88302

AC - I can agree with what is said above. If your AC is not functioning then fix it. But I have yet to recharge our home fridge. It runs great!

God Bless!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Fuel system flush? I'd love to know who invented that one. I flush forty gallons of solvent through it every week.

I'd replace the vacuum lines, that's no big deal.

A pressure bleeder is $45, I think I'll buy one tomorrow. With that the flush is easy.

In summary it does sound like they are taking liberties.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. The responses have been great!
I think I will only do the timing belt and brake fluid then. I have been doing my own oil change with synthetic for the past 2 years and I use only 91 octan fuel. My AC is fine. Here in overly sunny S CA, I normally only use level 1-2 and it is sufficient. I can do the rest myself. Thanks again.
:) :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I wonder what the heck an A/C flush is? Flush it with what? To flush out what?

Why would a completely sealed system ever need maintenance, except to replenish small amounts of refrigerant lost over a long period of time through invisible leaks?

SirWired

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
geordie said:
Fuel system flush? I'd love to know who invented that one. I flush forty gallons of solvent through it every week.
exactly... 40 gallons of solvent that leaves lots of [email protected] at the bottom of your fuel tank. over time it builds us, and if you continually put bad gas in for very long periods of time the stuff can build up and clog things.

it is hard to get that much [email protected] in the fuel tank, but not impossible

the a/c system needs recharging every once in awhile, im not sure if the refrigerant gets old or just slowly leaks out over time, but if your a/c has stopped cooling your car, an a/c flush or just a recharge is a good idea... it will keep you cool during the heat

·
Registered
487 Posts
jeffsu350 said:
exactly... 40 gallons of solvent that leaves lots of [email protected] at the bottom of your fuel tank. over time it builds us, and if you continually put bad gas in for very long periods of time the stuff can build up and clog things.

it is hard to get that much [email protected] in the fuel tank, but not impossible

the a/c system needs recharging every once in awhile, im not sure if the refrigerant gets old or just slowly leaks out over time, but if your a/c has stopped cooling your car, an a/c flush or just a recharge is a good idea... it will keep you cool during the heat
Now there's another thing I don't understand. The pickup for the fuel tank is at the bottom, so is this like cork and stuff that floats on the top of the gas? I'm going out in 15 minutes to suck another 3 gallons of gas out of the bottom of the tank. I haven't had bad gas since that curry... erm, that's another story. I guess eventually the injectors wear or clog up, but that requires either new ones or fuel injector cleaning. The fuel filter is already part of the service schedule.

One thing you could flush in the a/c is the area where water collects if the drain is blocked and starts to stink.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.