Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I followed the instructions to the T so far for it on this site. I made a little key and I tried pulling as hard as i could with the needle nose pliers but still no luck. I even drove to the dealership and they said that they couldn't do it. I guess they tried but the told me they usually replace the whole unit. I ttok the white housing of because i thought it would help me see better but I still dont see anything to keep it from coming out. Please someone help me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
what the problem is! i dont quite understand what part you are stuck on. if i remember correctly once you remove the vent carefully remove the white sleeve, yes its a pain the rear but it does come off. then just pry the bulb out, if you cant get it with needle nose pliers try tapping it out with a screw driver. oh yeah did you make sure you unlatched it the plastic is keyed. if you can be more specific with your problem i could try and help.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i just dont want to force it. I am scared of braking it. I've been trying to tap it with a hammer and screw driver but no luck. It's like its glued in there. I dont see how it could get hung up anywhere.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
it took me a good hour to get it....I tried everything from a sewing needle to a pulled apart paper clip....In the end, I used one of my dad's old dentist tools...the hook thingie they used to clean teeth, straightened it out with a pair of pliers and a hammer, and used that for the "key"

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i guess not that many people have done this before...but its still not coming out. I dont see anything that is keeping it in there.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
IIRC, you enter from the "top", looking straight down on the bulb. You fit your key in alongside the bulb, wiggle, and out it comes. I used the end of a zip-tie.

You are using http://passat.fadainc.com/articles/vent.html?

The step 4. pic tells all.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have a tool jammed really far in there. still not releasing it. i mean i am pounding the thing in there with a hammer. i am trying to pry it out with pliers. and hammer it out as well. its so stuck in there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts