Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched, and I've tried digging through the local dealer's parts bin, both to no avail.

I have a used set of 5-Spoke Audi 16x7 alloy rims, originally installed on the 2000-ish A6 2.7T w/o the "Sport Package". This is a pic of the rims (audi press photo -- not my passat)...

The audi center caps measure 2.31" (59mm) in diameter on the visible portion, when installed. The "plug" portion has grooves that lock into a ridge in the center hole of the wheel. The diameter across the narrowest part of the grooves is 2.22" (56mm) in diameter.

I'll try to post pictures of the caps tonight...

Any thoughts on which VW center cap will fit, or could be modified to fit? Is there a chart of center cap dim's for VW wheels somewhere?

TIA,
-Pete

·
Registered
503 Posts
Pete, are you ever in luck. I have those exact wheels and after much searching, I found the VW center caps for them. The part number is 4B0 601 170 Z17. I got them from www.busdepot.com for about $10.50 each, but that was about 1.5 years ago. They fit exactly w/ no modifications needed.

Note that they have a completely different look from the Audi caps. The Audi ones are convex w/ a faux metallic look. The VW caps are flat and the VW logo almost looks like a sticker (i.e., it's not textured). So, to be honest, they're not "rich" looking, but I still prefer them to the Audi caps I previously had on.

Patrick

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hey Wisconsin, my message was for pete1, the guy who posted the first message on this thread, thus the introduction -- "Pete, are you ever in luck." I have the same wheels as him, not the ones you have. Sorry. I have no idea whether the center caps I mentioned would fit your wheels.

Patrick.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Patrick -- Wow! Thanks a million! :bowdown: :thumbup:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Geez--nice flame job, Patrick; maybe try a little harder to not be such a 'Richard' next time. Despite that fact, your information is indeed helpful, at least as a starting point, to me and anyone looking at Audi A4/A6 wheels as an option.

The wheels I am getting, like many Audi styles, have for a 60mm opening, so by reason of deduction the 59mm caps should work. That is why I attempted to thank you. You didn't have to "have any idea" about my wheels and furthermore you certainly seem to have no idea to be gracious when someone offers up a simple thank you.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I didn't mean to come across like that. I just didn't want you to buy the wrong caps. But having re-read my message, I see what you mean. I guess that's what happens when I rush a posting in between meetings. Sorry.

Patrick.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Patrick, I just want to be extra sure... you have

These wheels (16"x7", A6 2.7T without sport package):

Not these wheels (17"?, A6 4.2):

They look *almost* identical.

Thanks again!
-Pete

·
Registered
26,992 Posts
Wisconsin-Autocrosser said:
Geez--nice flame job, Patrick
You have a real problem if you think that is a flame job. He simply stated that his reply was not to you.

So Pete, have you posted pics with the wheels yet?

·
Registered
84 Posts
No, he did not simply state it...he kind of rubbed it in. And IMO it came across in a rather condescending fashion--especially considering that all I was doing was saying "thanks".

He apologized and I accepted. I think we can drop it now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts