Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to disassemble the driver side mirror assembly? All that's left is the metal "skeleton." All the plastic pieces are gone and the motor is done. Does anyone know where I can find directions on the tear down of the mirror assembly and where I can find parts online? Also, are there aftermarket options out there? I did a search on here and google and came up with nothing but a bunch of posts on the mirror glass.

Sorry if I'm being vague or leaving out and vital info... I'm just so frustrated!

TIA

·
Registered
493 Posts
Man, a lot of hit and runs lately. Try Liberty VW or Drewparts. They are forum sponsors and give a 20% discount. Better yet, check with Staffan. He has a set of the new mirrors with the turn indicators for sale in the classifieds (if their still for sale). Sorry about the bad luck.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Better yet, check with Staffan. He has a set of the new mirrors with the turn indicators for sale in the classifieds (if their still for sale). Sorry about the bad luck.
Yes I still have them. But I also have used one for you. Painted Colorado red (no luck?), but no mirror glass I think. Mail me and I'll shoot you a pic.

·
Registered
272 Posts
well, for dissasembly....
remove the tweeter on that door by pulling up, and out
frrom the door. Tthen use a torx bit (fergot size) to remove
the bolt in the door behind the rubber stopper where the
connector is for the speaker. <---run-on sentence :weirdo:

that should get yer mirror removed :wink:

·
Registered
25 Posts
sideswiped

Thanks for this thread. I'm in the SAME situation... er, well, luckily mine wasn't hit-n-run, so at least I will get some $$ to play with (sorry! not wanting to gloat... )

I was quoted a price of about $300 for entire assembly from dealer, so for similar price, thought I'd upgrade look and ordered some M3 style mirrors on-line. I am a little worried now after reading (other posts) that hook-up could be a challenge w/ added features (e.g., LEDs). :nervous:
(Sharing your frustration) I have '00 GLS and have gleaned from some sources that GLSs do NOT have heated mirrors (GLX only), and from others that they DO.
:???: :???:

P.S. Thanks (magill) :bow:

·
Registered
325 Posts
I just got the M3 mirrors myself today in the mail. Need to get them painted and see about the install. I'll try and take pics and post a small writeup.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cm103: what brand mirrors did you get and where did you get them? i've been looking around for a decent set of aftermarket mirrors and have come up blank. all i found was the stuff on ebay. a pair sells for $70 or so plus shipping... looks pretty cheap (quality).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, another down-side to Ebay-- most sellers ship UPS so you have to be prepared to wait... and wait... ....

I did see Passat mirrors listed at fastbodyparts.com for about $68, which look good. But I have no experience with this company or this product...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
9 Participants
mackman
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing