Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:banghead: 2000 Passat GLS V6 Manual Transmission 102k miles

I was stopped at a light tonight making a left hand turn, I had the car in 1st gear and the my foot on the clutch. I slowly released the clutch and proceeded to make my left hand turn, halfway thru the turn the car made a noise that sounded like a pop (almost as if something came apart underneath the front end of the car and was loose) and then my manual transmission went into neutral. I slowly coasted to the side of the road and had the vehicle towed. After I had coasted to the side, I tried putting the car into gear and the engine would rev up but the vehicle would not go forward or reverse. I tried all 5 gears and reverse. While sitting there the car would beep and the screen would say "hand brake on" and if I put the car into first gear, this message would go off. The message only came on about 2 times in 5 minutes and never stayed on.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I would guess something blew in your gearbox, possibly related to diff as this would be a bit more stressed... but it's only a guess and I don't know much about (anything!) 4motion type tranny if you have that.

Best of luck with it.

·
Superhero
669 Posts
I'm thinking something less sinister - like a toasted CV joint. Check your half-shafts. They are the first place I would check if I had the same sequence of events occur.

When you put the car in gear does the engine rev and a rumbling sound show up?

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,883 Posts
I'm thinking CV joint. if one popped on a manual, it won't move.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Bumping this up because I've got the same problem.
2003 Passat V6 5-speed, was backing out of a driveway, put it into 1st to pull away and let the clutch out and the car just sat there. Didn't really hear any strange noises, but all gears are essentially neutral.

The clutch and gears all feel OK, plenty of resistance on the clutch and I can feel the notchiness as each gear engages, but when I let the clutch out in gear the car doesn't move. RPM's just sit at idle like I had let the clutch out in neutral. If I rev it up a bit in gear there's a bit of rumble/grindy noise.

I recently had the CV boot replaced on the driver's side axle, but since then the axle started making some noise (only when turning almost full lock). The noise hasn't really increased so I wasn't worried about replacing the axle immediately, guess it might be time now.

Would one CV joint breaking cause this sort of issue?

·
Registered
504 Posts
It's the dreaded Dual-Mass flywheel failure; the flywheel sandwich that smoothes things out, can fail with no warning. Perhaps a little growl or slop in shifting, then bang, clang, no drive.

Since this entails a clutch removal anyway, time to replace all that. Either a new dual-mass flywheel, or a solid flywheel conversion, plus the clutch, pressure plate, to bearing, pilot bearing, and perhaps the rear main seal, the trans input seal and the slave.

Note: my '98 AEB Variant is sitting in the driveway now with this problem, at a mere 178,000 miles.

Slocket, you may have a bad cv; power follows the path of least resistance.

Good Luck,
Neil

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,304 Posts
saw this first hand over the weekend with V4Vangelder's car. Pulling away from a light. POP and then no drive. He actually sheared the axle that had a stressed failure, not the joint itself. Over 400whp will do that. breaking the joint will yield the same results, no drive at all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You're right Passit, it's my CV joint. Took a look under the car and you can see the axle spinning freely. It's all still connected but definitely broken.

·
Registered
504 Posts
CV is a cheaper, easier fix than a failed flywheel or clutch. Just get a new axle for that side; if you're good at changing them, you can have the old one our in a half hour. See the taligent service thread,
cheers!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts