Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!! Help!! Help!!
So I live in this Frozen tundra called Minnesota and as of 01.05.2014. temperatures plummeted to -31degrees in my city and with my car not being garage kept, it felt the full force of mother nature. Fast forward a few hours into Monday morning 01.06.2014 10am -20degrees and car wont start. I figured due to the extreme cold temperature. However, its now 01.08.2013 -2degrees and my car still hasn't started.
At this time im more then concerned about it.. I've tried Heet in the fuel tank as well as attempted jumpstarts... still nothing. battery is 2yrs old, lights are not dimmed when turned on, heat/ a/c /radio, pwrlocks and windows work, but its just not starting.
Vehicle in question is a 2003 VW Passat 2.8l V6.
Please Help me with any suggestions or recommendations... or am I just to wait this out until car thaws out... which according to meteorologist, MN won't be seeing any kind of warm weather until Friday when we may have a high of 30degrees.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Take the battery inside your house. Warm it up and then reinstall. The car will start. Even with a jump, a frozen battery will not generate enough juice for a sufficient spark.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
So when you say the "car wont start" do you mean that you hear the typical sound of the engine turning, but it doesn't begin running? Or do you mean that when you turn the key to Start, the starter motor doesn't work, or works very sluggishly?

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
If you didn't have issues before, and what ylwagon suggested is occurring, it's probably the battery. Everyone's batteries are taking dumps with these weather conditions. Lead acid batteries do not fair well with these extreme temperatures. I think the only battery that I know of that can withstand the cold more is a gel battery like the Optima ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts