Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last Friday I was at work when a hail storm came up. :cry: Hail was 1 to 2 inches around. I've got about 5-6 good sized dents in my hood. There may be more. I've not washed the car yet to get a final count.

How do they repair them? My Ink Blue baby is going to need an expert to get the hood back to beautiful.

Thanks in advance for your advise, Kevin.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Do Not Call Insurance, I repeat - DO NOT CALL INSURANCE

Am I yelling, yes.

I got my insurance cancelled for 3 things of which only one was my part. I have found that even calling your insurance company can be a strike against you.

I was rear ended ($1800), ran over a truck tread ($1800), and had a small tornado at my home ($10,000). All happened with 2 years time frame and I had not filed a claim in 20 years. Letter comes in the mail saying auto and home insurance was being dropped.

I have read the same kind of info in the Wall Street Journal, so do not take this as my bad luck.

I learned to only call the insurance when I the amount was very uncomfortable to pay out of my own pocket such as the tornado issue I had.

Do not even call to get advice and if you do, don't tell them your name and don't call from home.

Insurance has gotten real ugly out there.

I was also hit with hail. I was in my TT and was about to cry. I found a covered parking spot at an apartment building on North Ave. in River Forest when all this happened. I got about 5 minutes of it before I found the place to hide. I don't think I have dents, but I do have paint chips. I will try to repair myself or get someone to do. I suggest you go to dentwizard and just pay them. They are pretty good.

Forgive the caps, just trying to get a point across I feel very passionate about.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nasttcar,
I hear you on the insurance. I went to get new home owners insurance from a different company and the guy told me he couldn't write me a policy because I had 2 claims in the last 2 years with my old company. They were both very small claims for property damage, and one wasn't closed for 2 years so they both looked like they were recent. It was quite bogus.

Anyone got a reference for a dentwizard near me. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Hail damage, trust me I know about hail damage. :nervous: Do a search on "hail" and see what I've been through.

First, I'd contact a paintless dent repair shop in your area. There shoudl be a few in the yellowpages. They should be able to come out and look at the car and determine if they can do the work. That is the best option, as it will only cost you ~$60/dent to fix. If for some reason they can't do it. Call you insurance company and inquire about your dedutcible on your comprehensive coverage. (ASIDE: Mine was $500 and there was no way the estimate was going to be under that so I proceeded with the insurance.) Then I would ask them to recommend a body shop that can give an estimate. Or you can go through your VW dealer, call and ask where they get the body work done. Since your insurance is paying for it (and your paying for that) you should get the best repair that you can. Get a few estimates if your not happy with the first one. Make sure the body shop explains exactly what they are going to do, if something needs to be replaced make sure its with 100% OEM parts. Make sure you get a copy of the estimate, look it over and question anything that you don't understand. Its a pain but you have to be informed about this or the body shop could take advantage of that, and slip in used or non-OEM parts.

I feel your pain, hail and :b5: 's don't play well together. Good luck and keep us posted. :thumbup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts