Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got owned today! I was doing 51 in a 30mph zone (trying to get in front of cars to make a right turn) and the cops got me! I am 16 and they asked if I ever had a ticket before, what school I go to.... (you know how it goes)... At the end they gave me a ticket- but there is no fine filled in the spaces- He just said that I am on probation (or something of that nature)... and I must show up to court with a parent in April. Could someone explain to me what is going on? What is the purpose of going to court (since there is no fine)/ Will I be fined there? Will i get any points??? Thanks!

·
Registered
551 Posts
my guess is that your driving license will be your admission ticket to court...

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
I got this information from www.statedrivinglaw.com under Delaware:

Serious Speeding Violations

In accordance with Delaware driving law, the following actions will be taken with respect to serious speeding violations:

1. Advisory letter will be sent to the driver when convicted for speeding 20-24 MPH over the posted speed limit.
2. The driver will be suspended for one (1) month when convicted of driving 25 MPH over the posted speed limit. The length of suspension will increase by one month for each additional 5 MPH over the initial 25-MPH threshold. The driver may elect to attend the behavior modification / attitudinal- driving course in lieu of license suspension when driving 25-29 MPH over the posted limit. For speeding 30 MPH over the posted limit or more, the suspension is mandatory.
3. One-year suspension when convicted of driving 50 MPH or more over the posted speed limit or driving 100 MPH on a highway.
But I didn't see anything specific for minors - the part that really sucks about this for whoever is paying for your insurance is that you are ROYALLY screwed if your insurance company gets a copy of this. I mean are you kidding me? A 16 year old male with a ticket - HA! I would say that your rates would have gone from "rape" to an outright class 3 felonious anal molestation! In other words, pedaling a bicycle may be in your near future unless your parents are rich. . . Hey - this isn't LaZy4zNbOi is it? ;)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
In CA if you just got your license, for 6, or 12 months, your on what they cal "driving probation" which means you can't drive during certain hours of the night, and CAN'T GET SPEEDING TICKETS! I'm not sure but they might suspend your license.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was doing 51 in a 30mph zone (trying to get in front of cars to make a right turn) and the cops got me!

So let me see if I got this correct....you were on the LEFT....going 21 MPH OVER the limit (at 30 MPH probably residential?)...and going to ZIP around this guy (or gal)...cut in front of them and make a RIGHT turn.....hmmmm Maybe Mommy and Daddy shoulda bought you a clue instead of a B5 :crazy:

Just my honest opinion...,

daniel

·
Registered
301 Posts
IMO id find a cheap traffic lawyer and take him to court with you; they work wonders (got a 10 point, $600 ticket reduced to 2pts, $360). if its any help, in NJ, probation means if you get another moving violation, they yank your liscence... i would know as im starting my second year of it. good luck dude, hopefully the ticket will make ya think twice and slow down.

-drew

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Curry said:
In CA if you just got your license, for 6, or 12 months, your on what they cal "driving probation" which means you can't drive during certain hours of the night, and CAN'T GET SPEEDING TICKETS! I'm not sure but they might suspend your license.
Yes you can... I got a speeding tickete 9 months after getting my license, I paid a fine, attended correction (rented some videos from blockbuster and took a test) and that was that... unfortunatly 5 months later I got a ticket for making a u-turn :mad:. I attended correction again (special permission) and paid a fine... my license record is still point free :D.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
By the way, probation means just that... if you get another ticket within a certain time frame, your license is put on suspension. My guess is that you will be rewarded with a hefty fine, and told not to speed again, if you take traffic school (Not sure if you can in DE) it should reduce the fine a little, and wipe the point from your record so the insurance never see's it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts